|No replacement to be called for Umar Gul |
LONDON: The Pakistan team management here has decided that no replacement bowler will be called for the injured Umar Gul, who suffered a hamstring injury during the second Test against England at Birmingham.
“We have two back up pace bowlers, Tanveer Ahmed and Wahab Riaz in the touring squad and either one of them can replace Gul for the remaining Tests," team manager Yawar Saeed said.
Both Tanveer and Wahab are with the team since the start of the tour. The Pakistan touring squad presently includes 17 players.
Yawar Saeed said that the tour selectors would decide who would play but for now they are not asking for a replacement as Gul is also due to have another scan on August 18. It would be known after the scan whether Gul can recover in time for the two Twenty20 and five one-day internationals against England next month.
Umar Gul has been advised rest for up to three weeks but the correct position Would be known next week on how much more time his recovery would take," he added.
Gul has ruptured a muscle in his thigh while bowling in England's first innings, although he batted freely, albeit with a runner, during Pakistan's second innings.
Gul had also missed the ICC World Twenty20 and Asia Cup earlier this year due to injury.
Meanwhile, chief selector Mohsin Khan and limited-overs captain Shahid Afridi are due to fly to England during the third Test to finalise the limited-overs squad.
|PCB to organise fund raising match for flood victims |
KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is working on a proposal alongwith the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to organise an exhibition ... more
|KCCA accuses PCB of 'unfair selection' |
KARACHI: Cricket officials in Karachi Thursday criticised the selections of Pakistan's team currently on tour in England, calling it an inju ... more
|Afridi launches campaign for flood victims |
KARACHI: Pakistan cricket star Shahid Afridi on Thursday launched a campaign to help assist millions afflicted by devastating floods in his ... more
|Munaf Patel added to India tri-series squad |
NEW DELHI: Fast bowler Munaf Patel will join India's squad for the remaining matches of the ongoing triangular one-day series in Sri Lanka, ... more
|Afghanistan make positive start against Scotland |
AYR, Scotland: Afghanistan made an impressive start to be 349 for five against Scotland come stumps on the first day of their four-day ICC I ... more
|Nadal moves to Toronto Masters third round |
TORONTO: Top seed Rafael Nadal battled out a marathon tiebreaker on Wednesday to reach the Toronto Masters third round, downing Stanislas Wa ... more
|Guangzhou makes $450m in sponsorship |
BEIJING: Organisers have raised more than 3.0 billion yuan ($443 million) in sponsorship for November’s Asian Games in Guangzhou, offsetting ... more
|Premier Football League to kickoff after Eid |
KARACHI: Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) President Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat gave the go-ahead signal to sixteen teams, instead of ... more
|Real Madrid agree to sign Carvalho from Chelsea |
MADRID: Real Madrid agreed to sign experienced Portugal defender Ricardo Carvalho from Chelsea on a two-year contract on Tuesday.
“Re ... more
|Spain still on top of FIFA rankings|
ZURICH: World champions Spain stayed atop the FIFA rankings on Wednesday.
Spain lead World Cup runners-up the Netherlands, with Brazi ... more
- LONDON (AFP) - England coach Fabio Capello insists the bond with his players will not be broken by the ham-fisted and controversial manner in which he ended David Beckham's international career. Full Story »
- LONDON - David Beckham will reject the chance to make one final appearance for England, a person familiar with the former captain's plans said Thursday. Full Story »
- ATLANTA - Chipper Jones may have played his last game in the major leagues after tearing up his left knee while fielding a ground ball. Full Story »
- LATROBE, Pa. - For Ben Roethlisberger, there really is no place like home. Full Story »
- NEW YORK - Not winning consecutive games since mid-June is the least of the New York Mets' worries. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro has three new assistants. Full Story »
- TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - A group of prominent college football coaches joined in a conference call with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the NCAA and others to address problems with unscrupulous agents that have led to investigations at several schools this summer. Full Story »
- PARIS (AFP) - Three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador has been given a boost after his new team, Saxo Bank-Sungard, signed three of his closest stage race helpers on Thursday. Full Story »
- CHICAGO - The Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks have re-signed defenseman Jordan Hendry to a one-year contract. Full Story »
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Erynne Lee became the only tri-medalist to advance to the round of eight, notching two victories at the U.S. Women's Amateur on Thursday. Full Story »
- SAN DIEGO - A San Diego judge says he is not inclined to honor a plea deal for former Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor War Machine and thinks the case calls for state prison. Full Story »
- MONTREAL (AFP) - Jean Pascal makes the third and likely toughest defence of his World Boxing Council light heavyweight title Saturday against American southpaw Chad Dawson. Full Story »
- ROCHESTER, Minn. - NASCAR team owner Jack Roush has been released from a Minnesota hospital two weeks after he suffered facial injuries in a Wisconsin plane crash. Full Story »
- GENEVA - International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge hopes the inaugural Youth Olympic Games will teach young athletes to embrace fair play and reject doping, racism and corruption. Full Story »