|Pakistan beat Aussies to win T20 series 2-0 |
BIRMINGHAM: Teenage quick Mohammad Aamer took three wickets as Pakistan beat Australia by 11 runs in the second Twenty20 international at Edgbaston here on Tuesday to complete a 2-0 series win.
Australia, chasing 163 to win, were dismissed for 151 with 18-year-old left-armer Aamer taking three wickets for 27 runs in his maximum four overs - the same figures as he returned during Pakistan's 23-run win here on Monday.
The man-of-the-match struck early to remove openers David Warner and Michael Clarke before having Mitchell Johnson lbw late on to the delight of a pro-Pakistan crowd.
With just one wicket standing, a target of 19 off the last over proved beyond Australia and Shaun Tait was run out with two balls left.
Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi and fellow spinner Saeed Ajmal kept the pressure on with three middle-order wickets.
As was the case in their dramatic Twenty20 semi-final win over Pakistan in St Lucia in May, Australia's hopes, with 35 needed off the last three overs, rested with Michael Hussey.
But the left-hander, whose dashing 60 not out turned that match on its head, was lbw to paceman Umar Gul for 25, featuring four fours, when he missed an ambitious reverse sweep.
Australia's bowlers had done a good job in holding Pakistan to 162 for nine with left-arm quick Dirk Nannes striking twice in two balls to remove dangermen Umar Akmal and Shahid Afridi.
Nannes finished with three for 30 while left-arm spinner Stephen O'Keefe, on his international debut, took three for 29 including two tailend wickets.
No Pakistan batsman made more than Kamran Akmal's 33 although Aamer hit two sixes late on as he finished on 21 not out.
But no Australia batsman made more than David Hussey's 33.
Australia saw captain Clarke promote himself to opener in place of Shane Watson who, along with leg-spinner Steven Smith, was rested.
Clarke, who averaged just over 15 in Australia's run to the World Twenty20 final where they lost to England, was in superb touch while making 30 as his side slumped to 33 for three.
Warner was lbw for one to Aamer, although replays suggested the ball was narrowly missing leg-stump.
Shoaib Akhtar then had Tim Paine skying to Umar Gul at mid-off for nought.
In between those dismissals, Clarke played some superb strokes including a cover-driven four off Aamer.
But having struck six boundaries in only 17-balls he played on to Aamer.
James Hopes and David Hussey staunched the flow of wickets and Australia were 78 for three at halfway, needing 85 off the last 10 overs.
However, a fifty stand was ended when Hopes, on 30, was smartly stumped by wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal off leg-spinner Afridi.
Earlier, Pakistan lost Shahzaib Hasan for his second duck in as many days, although as Australia's ploy in opening the bowling with part-time spinner David Hussey was rewarded off the fourth ball when the opener was lbw sweeping.
Umar Akmal, the hero of Pakistan's win on Monday with a career-best 64, struck Johnson for a superb 'inside-out' four high over extra-cover.
But that was topped by Afridi's straight six off a near yorker-length ball from express quick Shaun Tait.
However, Nannes reduced Pakistan to 130 for six in the 17th over.
First he caught and bowled Umar, for 25, off a skied drive, that allowed the batsman to cross, and next ball he tucked up Afridi, on 18, for room and had him caught behind by wicketkeeper Paine.
|Govt announce Rs50,000 for Baloch’s family |
KARACHI: Sindh Secretary Sports Shoaib Siddiqui announced Rs50,000 for the family of former senior boxing coach Faqir Muhammad Baloch who ha ... more
|Athletes to participate in summer camp |
KARACHI: Around 50 athletes will be participating in the one-month PSB Under-16 Youth Summer Training Camp that will be getting underway her ... more
|Women softball team to play in Jakarta |
KARACHI: The Pakistan softball squad will be flying out of Karachi for Jakarta, Indonesia, on Friday to participate in the Asian Women Softb ... more
|PBF bans Amir for breaching discipline |
KARACHI: The Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF) imposed a ban of two months on international boxer Aamir Khan for breaching discipline during ... more
|GERMAN Paul SIDES WITH spain |
OBERHAUSEN, Germany: An octopus named Paul sits on a box decorated with a Spanish flag and a shell inside at the Sea Life aquarium here on T ... more
|Pakistan hope to avoid controversies in England |
KARACHI: Under a cloud because of recent match-fixing allegations, Pakistan’s cricketers are being extra cautious in a bid to avoid any new ... more
|Australia OK security after players bottled |
BIRMINGHAM: Cricket Australia voiced confidence in the security for Tuesday’s second Twenty20 clash with Pakistan here after their players w ... more
|Javeria Khan suspended for illegal action |
LAHORE: The ICC has suspended Javeria Khan, the Pakistan offspinner, from bowling in international cricket after her action was found to be ... more
|Butt rules out immediate Younis, Yousuf return |
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s cricket chief ruled out on Tuesday the imminent return of former captain Younis Khan to the national team, after the p ... more
|Pakistan end their Australia losing streak |
BIRMINGHAM, England: Pakistan beat Australia for the first time in 13 matches across all formats as they won the first Twenty20 Internationa ... more
|Muralitharan to retire from Tests |
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka’s world bowling record holder Muttiah Muralitharan will retire from Test cricket later this month, but may play one-day ... more
|Cancellara back in yellow as Hushovd wins stage |
ARENBERG, France: Seven-time champion Lance Armstrong was one of the big losers on the Tour de France on Tuesday as the cobblestones of the ... more
|Mature Germany ready to sink Spain |
DURBAN: Germany’s abrupt coming of age at this World Cup has caught almost everyone by surprise — everyone that is but their coach Joachim L ... more
|‘Fabregas could play, despite injury’ |
DURBAN: Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas has undergone tests on his injured right leg and could play in Wednesday’s (today’s) World Cup semifi ... more
|Umar Akmal gets Waqar’s seal of approval |
BIRMINGHAM, England: Umar Akmal was lauded by Pakistan coach Waqar Younis as one of the most talented players of his generation after settin ... more
|FIFA to monitor Nigeria over interference |
JOHANNESBURG: FIFA will watch for any further signs of political interference in Nigerian football after a dispute with the government almos ... more
|Bayern chiefs lay down law to federation over Loew |
BERLIN: Bayern Munich directors Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness muscled into the ongoing debate over whether Joachim Loew should be of ... more
|Run on German coach’s ‘lucky’ World Cup sweater |
BERLIN: Football-mad Germans have snapped up the “lucky” blue cashmere sweater that German coach Joachim Loew gives partial credit for his s ... more
|Maradona ‘chapter’ over as coach |
BUENOS AIRES: Argentina coach Diego Maradona said his “chapter had ended” on Monday, although the country’s local football association and a ... more
|Captaincy issue breaks German harmony |
ERASMIA: Germany’s WorldCup harmony was disrupted on Tuesday after skipper Philipp Lahm said he had no intention of willingly giving up the ... more
|‘Teamwork is why Spain are in semifinal’ |
DURBAN: Spain captain Iker Casillas believes his squad’s teamwork and commitment to attractive football are the reasons why it has made it t ... more
|Miroslav Klose or David Villa — who will prove decisive? |
JOHANNESBURG: Wednesday’s (today’s) semifinal between Spain and Germany throws together two record-breaking strikers who will both be hoping ... more
|Gerrard won’t quit playing for England |
LONDON: England’s World Cup captain Steven Gerrard said there was “no way” he would be calling time on his international career after their ... more
|Modi rejects IPL probe panel a second time |
NEW DELHI: Suspended Indian Premier League boss Lalit Modi on Tuesday intensified his battle with the country’s cricket chiefs by demanding ... more
|Dutch joy as 32-year wait ends |
CAPE TOWN: Elated Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk fulfilled a 32-year dream on Tuesday by steering his team into the World Cup final for the fi ... more
|Holland and Uruguay level 1-1 at half-time|
CAPE TOWN: A pair of wonder strikes from Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Diego Forlan left the World Cup semi-final between the Netherlands and ... more
- DURBAN, South Africa (AFP) - Germany's abrupt coming of age at this World Cup has caught almost everyone by surprise -- everyone that is but their coach Joachim Loew. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Clippers reached an agreement in principle with Vinny Del Negro to become the team's head coach. Full Story »
- DENVER - Seth Smith's three-run homer off Ryan Franklin with two outs in the ninth capped a nine-run rally as the Colorado Rockies stunned the St. Louis Cardinals 12-9 on Tuesday night. Full Story »
- SAN FRANCISCO - NFL Hall of Famer Jim Brown is asking a San Francisco appellate court to overturn a federal judge's decision to dismiss his lawsuit against video game maker Electronic Arts. Full Story »
- OAKLAND, Calif. - Alex Rodriguez hit his 21st grand slam and added a solo shot for his 597th home run, helping CC Sabathia win his seventh straight start in the New York Yankees' 6-1 victory over the Oakland Athletics on Tuesday night. Full Story »
- His long national nightmare is coming to an end. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Southern California released top recruit Seantrel Henderson from his national letter of intent Tuesday, the latest blow to a school reeling from an NCAA scandal. Full Story »
- ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Blues have signed goaltender Jaroslav Halak to a four-year contract. Full Story »
- NEWPORT, Rhode Island (AFP) - For Nicolas Mahut, an 11-hour, five-minute Wimbledon epic still isn't over. "Even when I sleep, I'm dreaming about the match," he said of the record-setting battle in which he fell 70-68 to John Isner in the fifth set. "It's a crazy story." Full Story »
- NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. - Tiger Woods is assured at least one trophy this year. Full Story »
- LAS VEGAS - About the time Shane Carwin's 40th consecutive punch hit him in the face, Brock Lesnar realized he couldn't argue if the referee stopped their fight and took away his UFC heavyweight title. Full Story »
- BOLTON, United Kingdom (AFP) - World boxing champion Amir Khan was released from hospital on Tuesday after being given the all clear amid fears he had caught malaria while on holiday in Africa. Full Story »