|Aamer makes Australia struggle in first Test |
LONDON: Teenage quick Mohammad Aamer struck an early blow as Australia struggled to 36 for one at lunch on the first day of the first Test against Pakistan at Lord's here on Tuesday.
Aamer dismissed Shane Watson for four on his way to figures of one wicket for 13 runs in five overs during which 18-year-old Aamer, one of the stars of Pakistan's back-to-back
Twenty20 victories over Australia at Edgbaston last week, was soon testing the
The left-armer had an lbw appeal against Katich turned down by Ian Gould, with replays showing the ball would have hit middle stump, although the English umpire may have been deceived by the sound of bat hitting pad.
Watson took a risk in padding up to an inswinger and then, curiously, did the very same thing next ball.
Gould raised his finger but, as the ball had trickled onto the stumps and knocked off the bail, Watson was out bowled and Australia were eight for one.
Even star batsman Ponting looked uncertain early on against the swinging ball. But when Aamer erred in dropping short, Ponting pulled him for four.
Katich, repeatedly shuffling across his stumps, continued to look vulnerable to being given out lbw and then, extraordinarily, turned his back on first change Umar Gul's initial ball.
This was the first of a two-Test series being played in England because Pakistan, where the matches should have been staged, became a 'no-go area' for top-class international cricket following the armed attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore in March last year.
This match was also the first time a 'neutral' Test had been played in England since the 1912 triangular tournament where Australia and South Africa, along with England, made up the competing teams.
|Pakistan win toss, elect to field against Australia |
LONDON: Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi won the toss and elected to field against Australia in the first Test at Lord's here on Tuesday.
|‘Best chance’ against Aussies: Afridi |
LONDON: The flamboyant Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi sees a chance for his country to surprise Australia here at Lord’s, saying they are be ... more
|Young Pakistan set for tough Aussie |
LONDON: On one hand, the Pakistan cricket team is facing the cruel facts of history while on the other, loom the formidable Aussies.
Paki ... more
|Key is to stop Afridi: Ponting |
LONDON: Stop Shahid Afridi, you stop Pakistan. That is the mantra Australian captain Ricky Ponting is taking into the two-Test series beginn ... more
|Bits and Pieces |
Sri Lanka disappointed at no review system for India
COLOMBO: Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara said on Monday he was disappointe ... more
|Ravi beat Waqas to clinch Asian Junior title |
KARACHI: Indian Ravi Dixit created history by becoming the first Indian male to win an Asian squash title, after defeating Pakistan’s second ... more
|Former greats welcome young blood in team |
KARACHI: Former Test cricketers welcomed the inclusion of rookie youngsters Azhar Ali and Umar Amin in the playing eleven for the Test match ... more
|Senate committe lauds PBF efforts |
KARACHI: The National Assembly Standing Committee on Sports lauded the efforts of the Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF) for the promotion of ... more
|Strauss, Trott inspire England to series win |
BIRMINGHAM, England: Andrew Strauss and Jonathan Trott made hundreds as England bounced back from last weekend’s shock defeat to beat Bangla ... more
|Viva La Furia Roja! |
MADRID: Spain’s World Cup-winning team arrived home from South Africa for a huge celebration on Monday, including meetings with the Spanish ... more
|Paul the psychic octopus wins his own ‘World Cup’ |
BERLIN: What do you give the global superstar who has everything? This was the dilemma facing staff at aquarium home of Paul the octopus who ... more
|Mandela wows fans ahead of World Cup final |
JOHANNESBURG: Nelson Mandela attended the opening of Sunday’s World Cup final between Spain and Netherlands, thrilling fans and capping Sout ... more
|QUESTION OF THE DAY |
Today we come to the end of our Question of the Day section. Thank you all of you for your response.
For your comments and suggestion ... more
|Cruyff slams ‘dirty’ Dutch |
MADRID: Former Dutch superstar Johan Cruyff on Monday slammed the style of play of his compatriots during Sunday’s World Cup final against S ... more
|Ole! Spain celebrate historic Cup win |
MADRID: Millions danced, cheered and set off fireworks in an all-night football induced delirium after Spain’s first World Cup triumph.
< ... more
|Forlan named World Cup’s best player |
JOHANNESBURG: Uruguay striker Diego Forlan has won the FIFA Golden Ball award for the top player of the 2010 World Cup after inspiring his c ... more
|South Africa’s stadiums amaze but court controversy |
JOHANNESBURG: South Africa’s World Cup stadiums have stunned the globe’s largest sporting audience with audacious style although critics say ... more
|Cup shows game needs to move into 21st century|
JOHANNESBURG: The controversies of the World Cup underlined once more that football, the world’s mostpopular sport, has become increasingly ... more
- MADRID (AFP) - Spain's victorious World Cup squad returned to a heroes' welcome in Madrid with hundreds of thousands of fans cheering the team as they paraded through the capital's streets on an open top bus. Full Story »
- ANAHEIM, Calif. - David Ortiz believes his power swing is all the way back. After a big finish in the Home Run Derby, Boston's beloved slugger has a trophy to prove it. Full Story »
- ST. ANDREWS, Scotland - After 12 years using the same putter, Tiger Woods finally is switching to the swoosh. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - San Diego Chargers Pro Bowl receiver Vincent Jackson has been suspended for three games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the team said. Full Story »
- MINNEAPOLIS - With a payroll swelling to nearly $100 million and a spectacular new open-air ballpark, this was supposed to be the season the Minnesota Twins took hold of the AL Central from the start and challenged the New York Yankees for the American League pennant. Full Story »
- OAKLAND, Calif. - The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent small forward Dorell Wright to a multiyear contract. Full Story »
- MORZINE, France (Reuters) - Rested after a day off, the Tour de France riders get back to serious climbing in the 209-km ninth stage to St Jean de Maurienne on Tuesday. Full Story »
- CHICAGO - The Chicago Blackhawks, who have lost seven players since winning the Stanley Cup a month ago, said Monday they plan to keep 23-year-old restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson. Full Story »
- ST. ANDREWS, Scotland - Nothing like a trip to the Old Course to get Ernie Els out of his U.S. Open funk. Full Story »
- LAS VEGAS - About the time Shane Carwin's 40th consecutive punch hit him in the face, Brock Lesnar realized he couldn't argue if the referee stopped their fight and took away his UFC heavyweight title. Full Story »
- ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - Mike Jones stopped Irving Garcia in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at Boardwalk Hall on Friday night. Full Story »
- KENT, Wash. - A 60-year-old drag racing driver became the third person to die at an NHRA event this year when he crashed after crossing the finish line during his semifinal heat at the Northwest Nationals on Sunday. Full Story »
- PRETORIA, South Africa - International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge congratulated South Africa on an "outstanding success" as host of the World Cup on Saturday. Full Story »