|Albie Morkel inspires South Africa win over Kiwis |
BRIDGETOWN: Albie Morkel's quickfire 40 helped take South Africa to a comfortable 13 run win in their opening Super Eights match against New Zealand at the World Twenty20 here on Thursday.
His innings at the Kensington Oval lasted just 18 balls but still featured five sixes and helped South Africa pile up a total of 170 for four.
Together with AB de Villiers, who finished on 47 not out, he shared a stand of 72 in six overs as they built on a solid foundation laid by the top order.
De Villiers faced 39 balls with two sixes and a four. New Zealand rarely looked like threatening South Africa's score, finishing on 157 for seven.
"The key for me is to keep my shape, it was a short boundary down the ground and also with the wind, so it worked in my favour," man-of-the-match Albie Morkel explained at the post-match presentation.
South Africa captain Graeme Smith added: "We played smart cricket, Albie made the most of his opportunity, and his partnership with AB could have been the turning point." His New Zealand counterpart, Daniel Vettori, was in no doubt though.
"De Villiers and Morkel played well, we missed a couple of chances but let them get too much," Vettori said.
"You needed to be inch-perfect with guys like Morkel hitting at the death, but we were a little off. We need guys at the top to play 40-50 balls to have a chance of chasing down this target."
South Africa off-spinner Johan Botha justified his recall in place of left-armer Roeof van der Merwe with a tight spell of two wickets for 23 runs in three overs which saw him dismiss Martin Guptill (18) and innings top scorer Jesse Ryder (33).
Herschelle Gibbs also contributed on his return to the side, after coming in for Loots Bosman, with an attractive 30 and two superb catches to get rid of New Zealand dangerman Brendon McCullum, in the first over, and Ross Taylor.
New Zealand required 36 from 12 balls and then 27 from six.
Smith then brought on Albie Morkel for his only over of the match and he was promptly hoisted over deep square leg by Vettori for four.
However, Albie Morkel kept his head and the target became an impossible 22 off three balls.
Earlier, the all-rounder was equally adept at striking left-arm spinner Vettori over long-off for six or depositing paceman Tim Southee for three sixes in an over.
South Africa, who won the toss, saw Smith open alongside Jacques Kallis.
The pair shared a first wicket stand of 40 before Smith holed out to deep midwicket for 14.
And 40 for one became 55 for two when Kallis, who made 31, was brilliantly caught by a diving Southee at third man after uppercutting Jacob Oram.
Both Group E rivals continue their bid for a semi-final spot here on Saturday when New Zealand face defending champions Pakistan and South Africa play England, who beat Pakistan by six wickets earlier on Thursday.
|Pakistan to take on India in Azlan Shah |
IPOH: Pakistan will play its second match today against India in Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament.
Pakistan hockey coach Khwaja Junaid sa ... more
|What’s wrong with Afridi? |
KARACHI: When Shahid Afridi flew out for the Caribbean last month, he promised to shine in three different roles to help Pakistan defend the ... more
|Mighty KP crushes Pakistan |
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: Kevin Pietersen’s unbeaten 73 saw England to a six wicket win over defending champions Pakistan in the opening Super E ... more
|Afghans ask for chance to shine again |
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: Afghanistan bowed out of their first major cricket tournament on Wednesday, then urged the game’s top nations to give ... more
|Dottin scores first women’s Twenty20 ton |
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: West Indies’ Deandra Dottin wrote herself into cricket’s record books by becoming the first women to score a century i ... more
|SL to host Asia Cup in June |
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka is to host the four-nation Asia Cup tournament in June, the Asian Cricket Council said on Thursday.
The tournament ... more
|Lull before IPL storm as Lalit Modi gears for a fight |
NEW DELHI: India is bracing for the next round of mudslinging in the Indian Premier League corruption scandal as the cricket tournament’s ch ... more
|Sports Ministry to forward PCB draft |
ISLAMABAD: The concerned authorities in the Presidency have directed the Sports Ministry to forward the proposed draft of the Pakistan Crick ... more
|Nannes wrecks Bangladesh hopes as Aussies progress |
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: Fast bowler Dirk Nannes took four wickets as Australia beat Bangladesh by 27 runs here at the Kensington Oval here on ... more
|‘Nobody blamed Younis for team’s troubles’ |
KARACHI: Younis Khan’s legal advisor has claimed that no player and official interviewed by the inquiry committee of the Pakistan Cricket Bo ... more
|Bits and Pieces |
Sarfaraz to donate lawsuit amount
From our correspondent
ISLAMABAD: Former fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz pledged to donate Rs 50 ... more
|‘Match-fixing common in ICL’ |
LONDON: Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif has been told that “a large number” of matches in the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) were fi ... more
|India in ‘fast vs spin’ dilemma |
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: The Indian Premier League was the perfect platform for fancy innovations and crazy experiments.
Some of them w ... more
|SA pace too much for Afghans |
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: South Africa won through to the second round of the World Twenty20 with a 59-run win as newcomers Afghanistan were bow ... more
|Chinese cricketers end Pakistan tour with victory |
KARACHI: The touring Chinese cricketers ended their 25-day preparatory tour to Pakistan when they beat UBL Academy side by 29 runs at UBL Sp ... more
|Crouch heads Spurs into Champions League |
MANCHESTER, England: Tottenham qualified for the Champions League for the first time, beating Manchester City 1-0 on Wednesday night by Pete ... more
|Ronaldo keeps Real on Barca’s heels |
MADRID: Cristiano Ronaldo netted his first ever hat-trick for Real Madrid to move onto 25 goals of the season as Real came from behind to wi ... more
|Inter Milan beat Roma 1-0 to win Italian Cup |
ROME: Inter Milan secured the first trophy in their historic treble quest as they beat AS Roma 1-0 at the Stadio Olimpico here on Wednesday. ... more
|Shoaib rules out date changes |
KARACHI: The change in dates of the 13th Sindh Games, to be held here from June 1 to 3, has been ruled out in spite of the rescheduling of t ... more
|Pakistan hockey needs Olympians’ services: Iqbal |
ISLAMABAD: The newly elected chairman of the National Assembly Standing Committee on Sports Iqbal Mohammad Ali Khan has said that he wants f ... more
|OISSA organises first ever U12 event |
KARACHI: Olympian Iftikhar Syed Sports Academy (OISSA) is organising the first ever U12 hockey tournament of the country from May 15 at OISS ... more
|Federer takes first clay win of season |
ESTORIL, Portugal: Roger Federer got his clay season on back track as the Swiss opened his campaign at the Estoril Open Wednesday with a 6-3 ... more
|Cilic into second round |
MUNICH: Top-seed Marin Cilic had few problems booking his second-round place at Munich’s ATP tournament on Wednesday with a comfortable 6-4, ... more
Clarke ready for spin trial against India
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: Michael Clarke admitted his bowlers were ready for a trial by spin wh ... more
|Protease beat NZ by 13 runs in Super Eights|
BRIDGETOWN: South Africa have beaten Kiwis by 143 runs in Twenty20 match in Super Eights stage of ICC World Cup here late night. ... more
- ORLANDO, Fla. - Maybe all the Orlando Magic needed after a slow start was a slap in the face. Full Story »
- DETROIT - Johan Franzen doubled his previous playoff scoring total in one game. Full Story »
- MONTREAL - Maxim Lapierre and Brian Gionta scored 1:33 apart early in the third period to lift the Montreal Canadiens to a 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 4 on Thursday night, tying the Eastern Conference semifinal series. Full Story »
- ALAMEDA, Calif. - Move over Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich and Charles Rogers. The NFL has another contender for biggest draft bust. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Andre Ethier hit a grand slam in the ninth off LaTroy Hawkins after the Dodgers blew a two-run lead in the top of the inning, and Los Angeles beat the Milwaukee Brewers 7-3 Thursday night. Full Story »
- ORLANDO (Reuters) - The Orlando Magic followed up their series opening annihilation of the Atlanta Hawks with a 112-98 victory on Thursday to open a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semi-finals. Full Story »
- PISCATAWAY, N.J. - Mike Rice never dunked a basketball or dreamed of playing in the NBA. Full Story »
- LIVERPOOL, England (AFP) - Liverpool claim boss Rafael Benitez's crunch talks with chairman Martin Broughton and managing director Christian Purslow over the futute of the club were "constructive". Full Story »
- COLUMBIA, Mo. - Organizers of the Tour of Missouri say the international cycling race likely won't be held in a few months because of uncertainty over state funding. Full Story »
- DETROIT - Johan Franzen has set a Detroit Red Wings playoff record with six points, and tied another team mark with four goals against the San Jose Sharks. Full Story »
- ROME (AFP) - Former world number one Ana Ivanovic continued her return to form at the claycourt Rome Open at the Foro Italico here on Thursday as she took her third successive seed's scalp. Full Story »
- CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - On the first shot of the first playoff hole at the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference championship last month, the University of St. Francis' top golfer hit a shot so bad that you'd have to wonder how he made the playoff in the first place. Full Story »
- LAS VEGAS - Floyd Mayweather Jr. is usually content to just win a fight. This time, though, Money Mayweather wanted to earn his cash. Full Story »
- BALTIMORE - Traffic on Pratt Street in downtown Baltimore often moves at a crawl. But one weekend a year from August, the speed limit will increase — to 185 mph. Full Story »
- PRAGUE - Bohumil Nemecek, an Olympic champion boxer who competed for Czechoslovakia at the 1960 Rome Games, has died, the Czech Boxing Association said. He was 72. Full Story »