|Ban on Younis lifted, fine on Afridi quashed |
LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board’s one-man appellate tribunal here Saturday has lifted an indefinite ban on former captain Younis Khan. It also quashed the fine on current captain Shahid Afridi and reduced the fine on Kamran Akmal and Umar Akmal.
After hearing the appeal by Younis Khan against his indefinite ban here at the National Cricket Academy, Justice retired Irfan Qadir told media that accepting the appeal he has lifted the ban.
"The appeal of Younis against an indefinite ban is accepted and the order (punishment) is set aside," the arbitrator, retired justice Irfan Qadir, said in his order.
Younis was one of seven players who were banned or fined in March this year.
The penalties came after an inquiry committee investigated on and off-field problems during team's tours to the United Arab Emirates, New Zealand and Australia between November and February.
Younis and another former captain Mohammad Yousuf were handed indefinite bans over "infighting in the team which let the team down."
Younis's lawyer said he was delighted with the outcome of the appeal.
"Younis's stance was based on principle and we are delighted to get the ban revoked," lawyer Ahmed Malik Qayyum told a foreign news agency.
The former captain was named in a preliminary squad of 35, subject to his clearance from the arbitrator, but was not selected in the 15-man Asia Cup squad announced on Thursday.
He is, however, likely to be considered for team's tour of England to be announced later.
Pakistan take part in the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka from June 15-24. They will then play two Twenty20 and two Tests against Australia before playing hosts England in four Tests, five one-day and two Twenty20 -- all in England.
The arbitrator last week lifted Shoaib Malik's one-year ban and reduced his two million rupees fine to half.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) legal adviser Talib Rizvi confirmed Younus's appeal was accepted.
The arbitrator also quashed the fine on current captain Shahid Afridi and reduced the fine on Kamran Akmal and Umar Akmal.
Afridi was fined on charges of ball-tampering in a one-day match against Australia, while the Akmal brothers were punished for discipline violations.
Another former captain Yousuf, banned for an indefinite period, did not appeal, while all-rounder Rana Naved-ul-Hasan's appeal against a one-year ban and fine of 24,000 dollars will be heard on June 19.
|Sri Lanka to allow foreigners in domestic league |
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka plans to welcome foreign players to compete for the first time for local teams in a revamped Twenty20 format, a top admin ... more
|Sri Lanka win toss and put India into bat |
HARARE: Sri Lanka captain Tillekeratne Dilshan won the toss and opted to put India in to bat in the fifth match of the triangular one day se ... more
|China exults in shock defeat of France |
BEIJING: Chinese commentators rejoiced Saturday in their national team's shock 1-0 victory over former world champions France, hoping for a ... more
|Training camp for Asia Cup from today |
LAHORE: A training camp of cricket team for preparation of Asia Cup will be kick off from today (Saturday) here.
A15-member squad and ... more
|National Badminton begins June 27 |
KARACHI: The 53rd edition of National Badminton Championships will be held at Islamabad from June 27 to July 3.
The tournament featu ... more
|Finn awarded incremental England contract |
MANCHESTER: Steven Finn has been rewarded for his man-of-the-match performance in the first Test at Lord’s with an incremental England contr ... more
|MSAP to hold summer camp |
KARACHI: The Mind Sports Association of Pakistan (MSAP) will be holding a one-month summer camp of chess and scrabble here at the Sultan Moh ... more
|Nadal storms into final |
PARIS: Four-time champion Rafael Nadal stormed into his fifth French Open final on Friday to set up a mouth-watering revenge showdown with R ... more
|Test cricket is the real deal: Aamer |
LAHORE: In an era when several players of his ilk are contemplating giving up Test cricket to prolong their careers, Pakistan’s latest fast- ... more
|Selection committee should have consulted me: Miandad |
ISLAMABAD: Former cricket captain and Director General Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Javed Mianded feels sorry for the selection committee fo ... more
|CW Games to battle cricket for viewers |
NEW DELHI: The Commonwealth Games in October are set to compete against India’s obsession with cricket if a high-profile home series against ... more
|Rio Ferdinand out of World Cup |
LONDON: England captain Rio Ferdinand will miss the World Cup after suffering a knee injury in training, the Football Association confirmed ... more
|Umpire Koertzen set to draw stumps |
DUBAI: Rudi Koertzen will retire as a top-flight umpire following the two-Test series between Pakistan and Australia in England in July, the ... more
|Bell tolls once more for Bangladesh in second Test |
MANCHESTER: Ian Bell took his average against Bangladesh to nearly 200 as he finished 87 not out on the first day of the second and final Te ... more
|Gilchrist relishes chance to go back |
LONDON: Adam Gilchrist admits he is delighted to have finally got the chance to play in English county cricket — even if his debut appearanc ... more
|Sharafi, Kalri set final date |
KARACHI: Sharafi Mohammadan and Kalri Stars qualified for the final of the 360 Club Football League held here at the CDGK Stadium on Thursda ... more
|Kallis, Duminy lead Proteas to clean sweep |
PORT OF SPAIN: Half-centuries from Jacques Kallis and JP Duminy helped South Africa complete a clean sweep of their One-day International se ... more
|India launches CW Games ticket sales |
NEW DELHI: Commonwealth Games organisers began selling tickets on Friday in spite of growing anxiety over delays building major venues for t ... more
|Counties at risk over Test costs, says Lancs chief |
MANCHESTER: Lancashire’s chief executive warned that counties faced bankruptcy unless the cost of staging Tests in England was reduced as th ... more
|Spain squeeze past S Korea as Fab returns |
LONDON: Cesc Fabregas returned to action after two months out injured and played for an hour in Spain’s 1-0 World Cup warm-up win over South ... more
|Super Football League all set for kick-off on 11th |
KARACHI: Football enthusiasts of the provincial metropolis will have to take some time out from their involvement in the FIFA World Cup to w ... more
|Drogba facing Cup heartbreak |
SION, Switzerland: Ivory Coast saw off Japan 2-0 in a pre-World Cup friendly on Friday, but captain Didier Drogba may miss the World Cup aft ... more
|Germany’s Loew in striker dilemma |
HAMBURG: Time is running out for Miroslav Klose to convince Germany coach Joachim Loew he is still his top striker for the World Cup.
The ... more
|Kaka ready to lead Brazil |
JOHANNESBURG: Kaka says he’s ready for one of the biggest challenges in sports: leading Brazil at a World Cup.
Kaka enters the tournament ... more
|Essien reveals South African heartache |
LONDON: Ghana midfielder Michael Essien admits he was devastated to discover his World Cup dream was over.
Essien had hoped to be fit for ... more
|Pirlo set to miss Cup opener |
MILAN: Midfielder Andrea Pirlo looks set to skip Italy’s World Cup opener against Paraguay on June 14 with a calf injury and he could even m ... more
|Inter Milan eyeing Benitez |
LONDON: Italian football giants Inter Milan have publicly praised Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, increasing the possibilities of the sacked Sp ... more
|Beckham to help ‘dumped’ Walcott |
JOHANNSEBURG: England footballer David Beckham has offered to help winger Theo Walcott to come to terms with being excluded from Fabio Capel ... more
|Stosur, Schiavone face off for clay title |
PARIS: Seventh-seeded Aussie Samantha Stosur and 17th-seeded Italian Francesca Schiavone will be the surprising combatants in Saturday’s (to ... more
|No involvement in any IPL bid: Pawar|
MUMBAI: Sharad Pawar and his daughter Supriya Sule have both denied they were involved in a failed bid for an IPL franchise in March.
Ac ... more
- PHILADELPHIA - Relaxed, loose and comfortable down in the series, the resilient Philadelphia Flyers got right back in these Stanley Cup finals. Full Story »
- DUBLIN, Ohio - Rickie Fowler did his part. Now it's up to the rest of the people chasing him to add some drama to the final 36 holes of the Memorial Tournament. Full Story »
- ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The Denver Broncos decided to sign right guard Chris Kuper to a long-term deal even with labor uncertainty looming. Full Story »
- BALTIMORE - Desperate to rejuvenate a team drained by losing, the Baltimore Orioles fired manager Dave Trembley on Friday. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Pau Gasol used to spend this week in Paris each year, sitting in the shade at Roland Garros and watching Rafael Nadal torment his opponents on the clay courts. Full Story »
- Reaction to John Wooden's death Friday: Full Story »
- LONDON (AFP) - Fabio Capello will spend the next 24 hours contemplating how to fortify his defence after Rio Ferdinand was struck by the curse of England's World Cup captains. Full Story »
- LUXEMBOURG (AFP) - Home rider Frank Schleck of Saxo Bank won the second stage of the Tour of Luxembourg on Friday but Italian Matteo Carrara of Vacansoleil took the overall lead from previous incumbent Cyril Lemoine after his second place on the day. Full Story »
- BOSTON - The Boston Bruins have signed forward Shawn Thornton to a two-year contract extension. Full Story »
- PARIS (AFP) - Super-fit Samantha Stosur hopes to end a 30-year wait for an Australian women's Grand Slam champion on Saturday, fired by twin memories of compatriot Pat Rafter and her early European claycourt struggles. Full Story »
- DUBLIN, Ohio - Summer has arrived, the second major championship of the year is almost at hand and yet Tiger Woods' game remains very much a work in progress. Full Story »
- LAS VEGAS - Rashad Evans and Rampage Jackson shook hands and slapped each other on the back, their long-raging rivalry finally calmed by the mutual respect that's only earned in the octagon. Full Story »
- NEW YORK (Reuters) - Manny Pacquiao has been named fighter of the decade by the Boxing Writers Association of America on top of his third fighter of the year award. Full Story »
- FORT WORTH, Texas - Todd Bodine stayed in front for two late restarts, including a green-white-checkered finish, to become a six-time winner in the NASCAR Trucks Series at Texas Motor Speedway on Friday night. Full Story »
- LONDON - An Olympic official familiar with the negotiations says the IOC is closing in on potential multimillion-dollar sponsorship deals with Dow Chemical and Procter & Gamble. Full Story »
Full Story »