|Peshawar hold Islamabad in SFL |
KARACHI: Holders Islamabad United received a major blow when they were held once again to a 2-2 draw this time by Tribe FC Peshawar in their match of the Super Football League held here at the Peoples Stadium on Sunday.
Meanwhile, in other match on Saturday night, Quetta Zorawar outclassed Lahore Lajpaals by 3-0 to take a fine start under former Pakistan coach Akhtar Mohiuddin.
Midfielder Yasir Afridi gave a fiery start to Islamabad when he converted a fine move in the sixth minute. Captain Muhammad Qasim doubled the lead for Islamabad four minutes later with an excellent personal effort.
But, Tribe FC Peshawar reduced the deficit six minutes before interval when Abrarullah’s short-range drive went into the net and soon after the interval, Sohail Khan equalised for them.
Meanwhile, captain Nasrullah provided Zorawar the lead in the first half through penalty. After half time, striker Jadid Khan Pathan and midfielder Mehmood Khan Junior landed one each to seal a comfortable 3-0 victory.
|Pakistan mull pace options |
KARACHI: Shoaib Akhtar’s possible return to international cricket on Tuesday (tomorrow) could force Pakistan to drop either Mohammad Asif or ... more
|Raina, Vijay lead India to series win |
HARARE: Indian bowlers let Zimbabwe off the hook as the hosts rode on Tatenda Taibu’s unbeaten 45 to reach 140 for five in the second and fi ... more
|Frozen Pak-India ties sadden Miandad |
KARACHI: Pakistan’s former captain and coach Javed Miandad was a sad man on his 53rd birthday as he lamented the frozen bilateral cricket ti ... more
|Gyan penalty sinks Serbia |
PRETORIA: An 85th minute penalty from Asamoah Gyan gave Ghana a 1-0 victory over Serbia in World Cup Group D on Sunday — providing Africa wi ... more
|Proteas make early inroads |
PORT OF SPAIN: Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel made early inroads into the brittle West Indies batting before lunch, to keep South Africa in the ... more
|Green gives England opener blues against USA |
RUSTENBERG: England’s players couldn’t get off the field fast enough as the Americans lingered to savour the night.
They walked to th ... more
|Marchisio in spotlight for Italy |
KARACHI: The Italians have been battered, criticised and given up for dead by many pundits and fans, who believe that the squad is an ageing ... more
Italy vs Paraguay
11.30 pm PST
Players to watch
Giorgio Chiellini (Italy)
The Juventus centre-back could dominat ... more
|Defending champions set for debut |
IRENE: The Azzurri have arrived — defending champion Italy begin their World Cup schedule on Monday (today) against Paraguay.
The Ita ... more
|Goalie seeks refuge on golf course |
RUSTENBURG: Robert Green sought respite on the golf course on Sunday as debate raged over whether he should be axed by Fabio Capello over th ... more
Netherlands vs Denmark
4.30 pm PST
Players to watch
Robin van Persie
The Arsenal striker h ... more
|Dutch must guard against over-confidence |
JOHANNESBURG: Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk’s side face two dangers when they start their World Cup Group E campaign at Ellis Park on M ... more
|Jordaan mulls vuvuzela ban |
JOHANNESBURG: World Cup organising committee head Danny Jordaan on Sunday did not rule out banning vuvuzelas, the noisy plastic trumpets whi ... more
|Spain hungry for the title, says Fabregas |
POTCHEFSTROOM: Midfield star Cesc Fabregas said on Sunday that Spain were “hungry for the title” as they prepare to launch their bid to win ... more
|‘Torres unlikely to play in opener’ |
POTCHEFSTROOM: Spain striker Fernando Torres is unlikely to feature in the European champions’ opening World Cup Group H match against Switz ... more
|Slovenia pip 10-man Algeria to top Group C |
POLOKWANE: Slovenia went top of Group C when they beat 10-men Algeria 1-0 in the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday.
Algeria had second h ... more
|Cameroon vs Japan |
7.00 pm PST
Players to watch
Alex Song (Cameroon)
They might all be talking about Eto’o but Song is Cameroon’s engine-r ... more
|Eto’o looms large over Japan |
BLOEMFONTEIN: Japan and Cameroon kick off their World Campaign with a Group E clash in Bloemfontein on Monday (today) that pits Africa’s mos ... more
|Injury stalks Ivory Coast, Portugal clash |
PORT ELIZABETH: On paper Tuesday’s World Cup confrontation between Ivory Coast and Portugal should be one of the gems of the first round.
|QUESTION OF THE DAY |
Q: Who scored the winning penalty for Italy in the 2006 World Cup?
Yesterday’s answer: 1990
Cameroon vs Japan
7 ... more
Ramprakash, Younis set up win
LONDON: Surrey pulled off their first Friends Provident T20 victory of the season by dampening the fire ... more
|Superb Germany dismantle Australia|
DURBAN: Three-time champions Germany fired out a warning to World Cup challengers with a comprehensive 4-0 dismantling of Australia in their ... more
- DURBAN, South Africa - Armed riot police charged into hundreds of security stewards at a World Cup stadium , using tear gas and firing rubber bullets to break up a protest over low wages just hours after Sunday's match between Germany and Australia. Full Story »
- CHICAGO - Ted Lilly took a no-hitter into the ninth inning before pinch-hitter Juan Pierre led off with a single, and the Chicago Cubs held on to beat the White Sox 1-0 Sunday night at a revved-up Wrigley Field. Full Story »
- CLEVELAND (Reuters) - Stephen Strasburg followed his strong Major League Baseball debut with another steady performance to lead the Washington Nationals to a 9-4 victory over the Cleveland Indians Sunday. Full Story »
- BOSTON (Reuters) - The Boston Celtics rode the outside shooting of Paul Pierce and a superior inside game to beat the Los Angeles Lakers 92-86 in the NBA Finals Sunday and move within one victory of a record 18th championship. Full Story »
- FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Authorities say Arkansas fullback Van Stumon has been charged with drunken driving and other offenses after an early morning traffic stop in Fayetteville. Full Story »
- SALLANCHES, France (AFP) - Slovenia's Janez Brajkovic secured the biggest stage race win of his career Sunday when he beat Spain's Alberto Contador into second place at the Dauphine Criterium. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy has resigned while facing a fourth-degree charge of felony sexual abuse. Full Story »
- BIRMINGHAM, England (AFP) - Top seed Li Na of China won the WTA Birmingham title at Edgbaston and returned to the world's top 10 after beating second-seeded Russian Maria Sharapova 7-5, 6-1 here on Sunday. Full Story »
- MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Only eight men have won a PGA event the week before a major championship. No one has won on tour, then gone onto victory at a U.S. Open. Full Story »
- VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Rich Franklin used a devastating right hand to knock out Chuck Liddell at 4:55 of the first round in the main event of UFC 115 on Saturday night. Full Story »
- CANASTOTA, N.Y. - Danny "Little Red" Lopez was slow and deliberate in his acceptance speech, unlike his demeanor in the ring as a champion featherweight. Longtime Associated Press boxing writer Ed Schuyler Jr. wasn't so fast for a change. Full Story »
- MONTREAL - Lewis Hamilton and his McLaren team made all the right moves in the Canadian Grand Prix, leaving Red Bull behind at sunny Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Full Story »