|Cricketers’ case in people’s court, live on Geo |
KARACHI: Who is right and who is wrong in the war between the cricket board and the players? A case in this regard will be heard today in people’s court on Geo News.
The inquiry committee, formed by the board to probe on the shameful performance of the national team on the tour of Australia, has banned former captains Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf on playing cricket for an indefinite period.
Besides, Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan have been banned for one year each while Akmal Brothers and Shahid Afridi have been fined.
Who is really responsible for cricket crisis in Pakistan? Cricketers or the poor strategy of the Pakistan Cricket Board?
Geo News, for resolving this issue, is bringing once again the ‘cricket case’ in which star cricketers including former captains Aamer Sohail, Moin Khan and Zaheer Abbas will participate.
The ‘cricket case’ will be telecast live on Geo News and Geo Super at 2-05 today.
Australia [ Images ] shattered Germany's [ Images ] dream of registering the first hat-trick of world hockey titles in the history of the game, beating the double defending champions 2-1 in the summit clash of the FIH World Cup in New Delhi [ Images ] on Saturday.
With this win, the Aussies not only avenged their defeats in the last two editions of the tournament but also clinched their second world title.
For Australia, Edward Ockenden scored the first goal in the sixth minute while Luke Doerner converted a penalty-corner in the 59th minute to become the top-scorer of the tournament along with Dutchman Taeke Taekema with eight goals apiece.
Moritz Furste scored the lone goal for the Germans in the 47th minute.
The Aussies had earlier won the title way back in 1986 in London [ Images ] but lost out in the finals against Germany in the last two World Cup finals in Kuala Lumpur (2002) and Monchengladbach, Germany (2006).
Incidentally, with this victory Australia coach Ric Charlesworth achieved a rare feat in the history of the game.
He became only the second player after the Netherlands' Hants Jorritsma to win the World Cup both as coach and player.
With revenge in mind, the Australians came out with a purpose and from the onset applied pressure on the German goal. Australia caught the German defence off-guard on more than one occasion with their attacking mindset.
Meanwhile, the Netherlands scripted a remarkable come-from-behind victory to win the hockey World Cup bronze medal by defeating England [ Images ] 4-3 in a thrilling match.
The Dutch, who were trailing 1-3 at the breather made a remarkable comeback by pumping in three goals in the second session to win their second bronze medal in World Cup history.
Australia's persistent pressure saw them draw first blood as early as in the sixth minute of the match from a goalmouth scramble through Ockenden.
Germany got a golden opportunity to draw parity in the 20th minute but young Martin Haner's drag-flick from their first penalty-corner went wide of the Aussie goal.
The Kookaburras, on the other hand, displayed classic man-to-man marking in the opening period as the German forwards found it difficult to make inroads into their opponent's circle.
Australia kept up the pressure in the entire opening half which resulted in numerous miss passes from an otherwise cool and calm German side.
Had it not been for Germany goalkeeper Tim Jessulat the Aussies could have gone into the breather with a 2-0 lead.
A brilliant Jessulat denied Doerner, who was later adjudged Man of the Match, the chance to become the top scorer of the tournament, making a great reflex-save six minutes before the interval.
Australia kept up the same momentum after the change of ends and got their second set piece just three minutes into the second half but Germany captain Maximillian Muller denied Doerner a certain goal with a fantastic goalline save.
The Germans, however, got their act together slowly and steadily as the match progressed.
Not only the defending champions tightened up their loose ends in defence but also displayed a better co-ordination between the mid-field and forward-line in the second half.
Germany's hardwork finally yielded result in the 47th minute when Moritz Furste scored the equaliser with a well executed variation from their second penalty-corner of the match.
Ten minutes later Germany got a chance to take the lead when they earned their third penalty-corner after video umpire was brought into action, but Furste's flick this time was deflected off target by the Aussie defence.
To the disappointment of the cheering capacity crowd, it was not to be Germany's day as Doerner finally came to the party in the 59th minute, beautifully converting Australia's third penalty-corner with a powerful drag-flick past Jessulat.
Thereafter, the Kookaburras got some more opportunities to extend their lead but Jessulat stood in between them and a goal.
Just four minutes from the hooter, Jessulat made a terrific double save.
Germany then went all out in the dying stages of the match in search of the equaliser and got a penalty-corner but Aussie custodian Nathan Burgers was up to the task.
|Formula One: Season’s first race Bahrain Grand Prix today |
DOHA: The first race of the Formula One season Bahrain Grand Prix will begin here today.
The salient feature of the season is Michael ... more
|Formula One: Schumacher feels effects of time factor |
MANAMA: Michael Schumacher admitted on Saturday that the modern era of quickfire Formula One qualifying caught him by surprise as he claimed ... more
|Contador retains lead of Paris-Nice |
AIX EN PROVENCE, France: Liquigas racer Peter Sagan won the fifth stage of the Paris-Nice race on Friday, a 157km ride from Pernes-les-Fonta ... more
|Keamari triumph in football event |
KARACHI: Keamari Muhammadan moved into next round of All Karachi Taj Muhammad Abbasi Memorial Football Tournament after defeating Sharafi Mu ... more
|Arif shines as JMDC win |
KARACHI: Mohammad Arif first batted and later bowled lethally to help Jinnah Medical & Dental College (JMDC) record a 28-run win over Dow Me ... more
|Ahmer propels team into final |
KARACHI: Ahmer bin Nasir knocked a brilliant and unbeaten 84-run knock and helped Dawood Sports record a formidable eight-wicket win over Un ... more
|Aussies break German wall to win World Cup |
NEW DELHI: Power-packed Australia proved third time lucky as they won the Hockey World Cup after a 24 year hiatus with a 2-1 win over defend ... more
|Butt mulls over captaincy options |
KARACHI: Ijaz Butt was still weighing his options regarding the captaincy of the Pakistan team for the ICC World Twenty20 championship afte ... more
|Swann, Broad put hosts in trouble |
CHITTAGONG: Graeme Swann and Stuart Broad shared five wickets as England tightened their grip on the opening Test against Bangladesh on Satu ... more
|Bazbabaaz and Canon Ball still a winning proposition |
KARACHI: Owner Syed Ali Gohar Shah will be twice lucky if both Bazbabaaz and Canon Ball oblige him in the two cup events at the Karachi trac ... more
|Disgraced hockey team returns home |
KARACHI: Pakistan’s hockey team returned home on Saturday after crashing to a catastrophic last-place finish in the Hockey World Cup in Delh ... more
|Bond, Southee inspire Black Caps win |
WELLINGTON: New Zealand have climbed off the canvas to snatch a dead rubber victory against Australia in a controversy-packed fifth One-day ... more
|Cauldron glows again in Vancouver |
VANCOUVER: Spectators cheered as the Paralympic cauldron flared to light in this western Canadian city, marking the start of the 2010 Paraly ... more
|KESC and PTV record crushing victories |
KARACHI: Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) overwhelmed Pak Saudi International by an innings and 52 runs in their Group A match of the ... more
|Lin Dan’s history bid shattered |
BIRMINGHAM: Lin Dan, the World and Olympic champion, had his bid to achieve an open era record of five All-England titles shattered by his s ... more
|WI edge Zimbabwe to win series |
KINGSTOWN, Saint Vincent: West Indies defeated Zimbabwe by four wickets on Friday to wrap-up the one-day series after the visiting side suff ... more
|Vettel shades Schumi to take pole |
MANAMA: Cool young German Sebastian Vettel stole the limelight from returning legend Michael Schumacher and three other world champions when ... more
|Zahid Gulfam clinches Tour de Pakistan crown |
KARACHI: While exhibiting great consistency throughout Zahid Gulfam from WAPDA won the 15th Tour de Pakistan International Cycle Race which ... more
|Ten-man Inter suffer Sicilian setback |
CATANIA, Italy: Serie A leaders Inter Milan suffered just their third loss of the season as they fell 3-1 at Catania on Friday, in a defeat ... more
|Dulko stuns Henin, Li out of Indian Wells |
INDIAN WELLS, California: British qualifier Elena Baltacha “fought her heart out” to record the biggest win of her career when she upset sev ... more
|Tennis greats team up for Haiti |
INDIAN WELLS, California: Tennis greats past and present teamed up Friday in lighthearted doubles matches to aid a serious cause — earthquak ... more
|Champions Canada trounce Italy in hockey opener |
VANCOUVER: Canada opened the defence of its Paralympics sledge hockey title on Saturday with a confident 4-0 shutout of Italy.
M ... more
|Swann takes five as England tighten grip |
CHITTAGONG: Graeme Swann grabbed five wickets to help England build a huge lead over Bangladesh on the third day of the first test in Chitta ... more
|England set for huge lead in Bangladesh Test |
CHITTAGONG: England were poised to gain a huge first-innings lead after grabbing two early wickets on the third day of the opening Test agai ... more
|Nadal, Davydenko cruise at Indian Wells|
INDIAN WELLS: Twice champion and holder Rafael Nadal of Spain eased into the third round of the Indian Wells ATP tournament with a commandin ... more
- NEW YORK - Jets coach Rex Ryan underwent a weight-loss procedure Saturday to help him fight obesity. Full Story »
- NEW ORLEANS - America's most famous filly fizzled out and now the most anticipated race of the year is no sure thing. Full Story »
- ARCADIA, Calif. - Zenyatta's owners brought her back to the races so they could have some fun and the fans could enjoy the mare who loves putting on a show. Full Story »
- CLEVELAND - Jake Delhomme has a new NFL home, and the Cleveland Browns have another new quarterback. Full Story »
- PEORIA, Ariz. - San Francisco pitcher Kevin Pucetas continued his spotless spring by retiring all nine Seattle hitters he faced and outfielder Andres Torres homered, doubled and scored three times for a Giants split squad that beat the Mariners 8-4 Saturday. Full Story »
New Balance 8509 Kid's Grade School
- DALLAS - Bill Walker scored a career-high 23 points, Wilson Chandler added 22 and the New York Knicks snapped Dallas' 13-game winning streak and avenged a 50-point loss to the Mavericks earlier this season with a 128-94 victory on Saturday night. Full Story »
- RENO, Nev. - Jahmar Young scored 19 points to help New Mexico State snap top-seeded Utah State's 17-game winning streak with a 69-63 upset Saturday night in the Western Athletic Conference tournament title game. Full Story »
- MANCHESTER (AFP) - Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic believes there is still more to come from his partnership with Rio Ferdinand as the pair gear up for the closing stage of the Premier League title race. Full Story »
- CAPE TOWN (AFP) - Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong finished in the lead group in the Cape Argus cycle tour around the Cape Peninsula on Sunday. Full Story »
- VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Mikael Samuelsson scored twice and added an assist, and the Vancouver Canucks returned home from an NHL-record 14 straight road games to beat the Ottawa Senators 5-1 on Saturday night. Full Story »
- INDIAN WELLS, California (AFP) - Reigning champion Rafael Nadal, playing his first match in more than a month, reached the third round of the BNP Paribas Open Saturday with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Rainer Schuettler. Full Story »
- MELBOURNE, Australia - Taiwan's Yani Tseng won the Women's Australian Open on Sunday, birdieing seven of the last 12 holes for a bogey-free 7-under 66 and a three-stroke victory over 2009 winner Laura Davies. Full Story »
- LAS VEGAS - The UFC is headed to the big screen. Full Story »
- ARLINGTON, Texas (Reuters) - Filipino Manny Pacquiao produced a dominating display to outclass Ghanaian Joshua Clottey and retain his WBO welterweight title with a unanimous points victory on Saturday. Full Story »
- GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Mike Edwards raced to a Pro Stock victory and the No. 1 qualifying position Saturday at historic Gainesville Raceway. Full Story »