|Fitness tests of Umar Gul, Yasir Arafat on Saturday |
LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board constituted a medical panel to decide if pacer Umar Gul and all-rounder Yasir Arafat are fit to play in the Twenty20 World Cup.
The 25-year-old Gul sustained a shoulder injury while fielding at a training camp in the eastern city of Lahore last week, but managed to bowl with a short run-up on Tuesday.
All-rounder Yasir Arafat, 28, also injured his calf muscle and is awaiting a fitness test before the team departs on April 24.
Team manager Yawar Saeed said Gul felt no pain and is on the path to recovery.
“We had MRI scans on both Gul and Arafat and a radiologist also examined them. Gul bowled three overs in the nets with a short run-up and felt no pain, so we are hopeful and will take fitness test on Saturday,” Saeed said.
Gul was also confident he will recover in time for the team’s departure.
“I bowled three overs in the camp off a short run,” he said.
He said that there was no tear in his shoulder muscles and ligaments which meant it was not a serious injury.
“It’s not a serious injury and the pain has subsided in the last two days. I felt no pain today, so God willing I will start bowling with full run-up before Saturday.”
Gul is the most successful bowler in Twenty20 history with 43 wickets in 26 matches and also recorded best-ever figures in a Twenty20 match when he took 5-6 against New Zealand in the World Twenty20 in England last year.
He told cricket website Pakpassion.net that the injury came during fielding drills.
“I dived for the ball and landed awkwardly and jarred my shoulder. It was one of those things that can happen at the blink of an eye. It’s been painful and sore, but I’m thankful that the injury has improved greatly”.
Arafat has played just seven T20 matches, taking six wickets. He was replaced mid-way through last year’s World Twenty20 in England after sustaining an injury.
Saeed said there will be no compromise on fitness.
“We have already said no half-fit players will go for an important event like the World Twenty20, so we will examine both players extensively before taking a final decision,” he said.
PCB announced that the medical board would examine the two players and also review their MRI scan reports to decide if they can be available for the World Cup.
“The medical board basically will give us a clear picture of whether the two players can be fit for the World Cup. Although their injuries are of grade-one category (not serious) we don’t want to take any chance with the fitness of any player for such a major event,” sources quoted a board official as saying.
He said the team management and national selectors were firm that any player even if he was 90 per cent fit would not be going to the World Cup.
“That is why the medical board will give us a clear picture of whether these two players can go to the World Cup as their initial MRI scan reports were not very clear,” he said.
The four-man medical panel includes Dr Zia Farooqi, Dr Waqar Farooqi, Dr Sohail Saleem and team physiotherapist, Faisal Hayat.
|Wozniacki advances in Charleston amid rash of retirements |
CHARLESTON: Top-seeded Caroline Wozniacki, coming off a triumph at Ponte Vedra Beach on Sunday, held off Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, 6 ... more
|Dementieva to lead weak Russia team for U.S. Fed Cup tie |
MOSCOW: World number six Elena Dementieva will lead an under-strength Russian team in this month's Fed Cup semi-final against the United Sta ... more
|Can he do it? |
KARACHI: After playing the last of his 25 Tests in the summer of 2006 against England in Leeds, Taufeeq Umar joined the ever-growing ranks o ... more
|Big trouble brewing for Asif |
KARACHI: Pakistan’s premier fast bowler Mohammad Asif might have landed himself in serious trouble after allegedly sending threatening email ... more
|Mushtaq puts faith in Afridi |
LONDON: Pakistan great Mushtaq Mohammad believes controversial allrounder Shahid Afridi is the right man to “lead from the front” as they pr ... more
|Clarke wins Wisden award |
LONDON: Australia vice-captain Michael Clarke has been named as one of the Wisden Almanack’s Five Cricketers of the Year in the 2010 edition ... more
|ICC pledges support for Pakistan cricket |
KARACHI: Cricket’s world governing body pledged support for Pakistan on Wednesday and expressed hope that the isolated country will play as ... more
|Shoaib Malik appeals PCB ban and fine |
LAHORE: Newly-wed former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik has appealed a ban and heavy fine imposed on him by cricket authorities, barely two d ... more
|Bajwa admits Pakistan deliberately |
KARACHI: A radio report on Wednesday claimed that Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) secretary Asif Bajwa has made a shocking disclosure that ... more
|Bits and Pieces |
Lee’s latest injury a concern for World Twenty20
MUMBAI: A broken right thumb has added to the doubts over Brett Lee’s comeback at th ... more
|India minister under pressure over IPL controversy |
NEW DELHI: Indian minister and former high-flying UN official Shashi Tharoor was under pressure Wednesday to step down over a controversy in ... more
|Lorgat confident of quick resolution to WADA deadlock |
DUBAI: Haroon Lorgat, the ICC CEO, on Tuesday said the ICC was on the verge of finding a solution to the contentious whereabouts clause of t ... more
|Sindh to hunt for fresh U19 players |
KARACHI: Candyland have chalked out a plan to hunt out Under-19 cricketers of Sindh through a comprehensive Talent Hunt Scheme for which the ... more
|Waseem eyes CWG gold |
KARACHI: The valiant fight in the flyweight category quarter-final against the 2008 Beijing Olympics’ silver medallist Hernandez Andris Laff ... more
|Red Bull ready to stamp dominance at Shanghai |
SHANGHAI: Red Bull will look to make the most of its technical advantage at this weekend’s Formula One Chinese Grand Prix, with rival teams ... more
|Nur Ali set to feature in Texas |
KARACHI: Nur Ali — Pakistan’s former A1 GP driver — is all geared-up to compete in the upcoming mega stockcar racing event to be held on Apr ... more
|Perez preparing for another spending spree |
MADRID: Football clubs of the world: lock up your stars, Florentino Perez is one the loose again — and planning another summer spending spre ... more
|KPT pull out of NFCC |
KARACHI: National Football Challenge Cup, featuring 14 leading teams of the country, will kick off at the floodlit Qasim Bagh Football Stadi ... more
|KESC footballers return after demands met |
KARACHI: The management of the Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) took a summersault when it decided on Wednesday to field its football ... more
|Lennon suffers Cup setback |
LONDON: Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon has given England manager Fabio Capello a World Cup scare by breaking down in training, further delayi ... more
|Anelka strike takes Chelsea closer to title |
LONDON: Chelsea went four points clear at the top of the Premier League table with four games remaining on Tuesday with a 1-0 victory over B ... more
|Berbatov struggles remind England of Rooney’s value |
LONDON: England manager Fabio Capello had an uncomfortable preview of his worst World Cup nightmare when he watched Manchester United implod ... more
|Hat-trick hero Naeem too good for SSGC |
KARACHI: Naeem Akbar scored three goals and helped NBP record a formidable 5-2 win over SSGC in 57th National Hockey Championship here Wedne ... more
|Valladolid stun CL chasing Sevilla |
MADRID: Valladolid coach Javier Clemente enjoyed a winning home debut as the relegation-threatened side beat Champions League hopefuls Sevil ... more
|Sindh Games to be held in June |
KARACHI: The Government of Sindh, with the collaboration of the Sindh Olympic Association (SOA), has planned to organise the 13th edition of ... more
|Nadal begins clay campaign with win |
MONTE CARLO: Rafael Nadal won his 28th consecutive match at the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday as the Spanish powerhouse began his 2010 cl ... more
|Jankovic rallies to advance at Charleston |
CHARLESTON , South Carolina: Former world number one Jelena Jankovic survived a scare by rallying to beat unseeded Edina Gallovits 2-6, 6-4, ... more
Nasim still awaiting rewards
By our correspondent
KARACHI: Pakistan’s SAG gold meadallist and South Asia’s fastest woman, Nasi ... more
- The Chicago Bulls are headed to the playoffs. The San Antonio Spurs are headed right back to Dallas. Full Story »
- OKLAHOMA CITY - Kevin Durant earned himself a place in NBA history. Without a trip to the playoffs, too, it would be nearly as special. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Chris Young hit a go-ahead RBI single with the bases loaded in the 11th inning, Justin Upton and Stephen Drew homered, and the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 9-7 Wednesday night. Full Story »
- NEW YORK - Players resting at the end of the regular season will be discussed among NBA executives, though commissioner David Stern doesn't see anything coming of it. Full Story »
- SAN DIEGO - Reggie Bush is scheduled to give a long-sought deposition next week in a lawsuit by a fledgling sports marketer who is trying to recoup nearly $300,000 in cash and gifts the star running back and his family allegedly accepted while he was playing at the University of Southern California. Full Story »
- LONDON (AFP) - Arsene Wenger conceded Arsenal's Premier League title dreams had been shattered by their 2-1 defeat to north London rivals Tottenham. Full Story »
- SILVER CITY, New Mexico (AFP) - Lance Armstrong's Team RadioShack have added the Tour of the Gila in New Mexico to their competition calendar. Full Story »
- SAN JOSE, Calif. - Rob Blake scored another big goal for the Colorado Avalanche — only this time he was wearing the opposing team's uniform. Full Story »
- CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AFP) - Top-seeded Caroline Wozniacki, coming off a triumph at Ponte Vedra Beach on Sunday, held off Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, 6-4, 6-1, in her Family Circle Cup opener. Full Story »
- ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - In the UFC's first show in the Middle East and its first outdoors, heavy underdog Frankie Edgar won a unanimous decision over BJ Penn on Saturday night to claim the lightweight title at UFC 112. Full Story »
- NEW YORK - Polish boxer Tomasz Adamek is dedicating his fight against Cristobal Arreola this month to those killed in the plane crash in Russia. Full Story »
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Hendrick Motorsports isn't scheduled to have an open seat in its lineup until 2012. Full Story »
- CALGARY, Alberta - Roger Jackson, the man who headed the program that helped Canada enjoy its most successful Winter Olympics, will step down as chief executive officer of Own the Podium on Thursday. Full Story »