|Fitness tests of Umar Gul, Yasir Arafat on Saturday |
LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board constituted a medical panel to decide if pacer Umar Gul and all-rounder Yasir Arafat are fit to play in the Twenty20 World Cup.
The 25-year-old Gul sustained a shoulder injury while fielding at a training camp in the eastern city of Lahore last week, but managed to bowl with a short run-up on Tuesday.
All-rounder Yasir Arafat, 28, also injured his calf muscle and is awaiting a fitness test before the team departs on April 24.
Team manager Yawar Saeed said Gul felt no pain and is on the path to recovery.
“We had MRI scans on both Gul and Arafat and a radiologist also examined them. Gul bowled three overs in the nets with a short run-up and felt no pain, so we are hopeful and will take fitness test on Saturday,” Saeed said.
Gul was also confident he will recover in time for the team’s departure.
“I bowled three overs in the camp off a short run,” he said.
He said that there was no tear in his shoulder muscles and ligaments which meant it was not a serious injury.
“It’s not a serious injury and the pain has subsided in the last two days. I felt no pain today, so God willing I will start bowling with full run-up before Saturday.”
Gul is the most successful bowler in Twenty20 history with 43 wickets in 26 matches and also recorded best-ever figures in a Twenty20 match when he took 5-6 against New Zealand in the World Twenty20 in England last year.
He told cricket website Pakpassion.net that the injury came during fielding drills.
“I dived for the ball and landed awkwardly and jarred my shoulder. It was one of those things that can happen at the blink of an eye. It’s been painful and sore, but I’m thankful that the injury has improved greatly”.
Arafat has played just seven T20 matches, taking six wickets. He was replaced mid-way through last year’s World Twenty20 in England after sustaining an injury.
Saeed said there will be no compromise on fitness.
“We have already said no half-fit players will go for an important event like the World Twenty20, so we will examine both players extensively before taking a final decision,” he said.
PCB announced that the medical board would examine the two players and also review their MRI scan reports to decide if they can be available for the World Cup.
“The medical board basically will give us a clear picture of whether the two players can be fit for the World Cup. Although their injuries are of grade-one category (not serious) we don’t want to take any chance with the fitness of any player for such a major event,” sources quoted a board official as saying.
He said the team management and national selectors were firm that any player even if he was 90 per cent fit would not be going to the World Cup.
“That is why the medical board will give us a clear picture of whether these two players can go to the World Cup as their initial MRI scan reports were not very clear,” he said.
The four-man medical panel includes Dr Zia Farooqi, Dr Waqar Farooqi, Dr Sohail Saleem and team physiotherapist, Faisal Hayat.
|Veena Malik moves LHC against Asif |
LAHORE: Actress Veena Malik filed a writ petition against Cricketer Muhammed Asif at Lahore High Court (LHC) as earlier she was denied an FI ... more
|Afridi best choice for captaincy: Mushtaq Muhammed |
LONDON: Pakistan great Mushtaq Mohammad believes controversial all-rounder Shahid Afridi is the right man to "lead from the front" as they p ... more
|Cilic, Tsonga, Berdych into third round of Monte Carlo tennis |
MONTE CARLO: Croatian fourth seed Marin Cilic flirted with danger against Russian Igor Andreev in his first clay court match of the season b ... more
|Nasim still awaits fulfillment of promises |
KARACHI: National athlete and Nasim Hameed is still waiting for the big bounties announced by the government and other institutions after wi ... more
|Minister wants a week to resolve hockey crisis |
KARACHI: Sports Minister Aijaz Hussain Jakhrani will take a week to make a call on the national hockey crisis that was triggered by last mon ... more
|PHF expected to select national coach on Friday |
KARACHI: Pakistan are expected to take a decision on the appointment of a new coach at an important meeting to be held in Lahore on April 16 ... more
|Fawad Alam — an asset or a liability? |
but skipper Afridi believes the allrounder will sparkle in the Caribbean
KARACHI: When Fawad Alam produced a string of impressive per ... more
|Afridi and Younis appeal sanctions |
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Twenty20 captain Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan filed appeals on Tuesday after being disciplined by the Pakistan Cricket ... more
|Arafat out of World T20 |
KARACHI: Allrounder Yasir Arafat was on Tuesday ruled out of the ICC World Twenty20 championship in the Caribbean while key pacer Umar Gul r ... more
|Sidebottom fears for England future |
LONDON: Ryan Sidebottom has said he has ‘nothing to prove’ as an international player but conceded that regular injuries have forced him dow ... more
|Kaneria remains ‘focused’ on cricket |
KARACHI: Last week’s match-fixing allegations may have rocked his world but Pakistan leg-spinner Danish Kaneria says he is keeping h ... more
|Neutral gear suits MCC’s ambitious Aussie |
LONDON: The Australian chief executive of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) is ready to throw open the doors of Lord’s to any nations wanting to ... more
|BCCI raps Modi over Kochi revelations |
MUMBAI: The controversy over the revelation of the Kochi franchise’s ownership details has taken a new, and possibly more serious, twist wit ... more
|Bits and Pieces |
ROME: Fernando Alonso will not use a fourth fresh engine at this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.
He used his third new V8 in Malaysia t ... more
|Fans invited to send messages to World T20 teams |
DUBAI: Cricket fans are being offered a unique opportunity to inspire their team to victory at the ICC World Twenty20 2010.
In keepin ... more
|Briatore gets birthday present as truce is declared |
PARIS: Flamboyant former Formula One boss Flavio Briatore celebrated his 60th birthday on Monday with the news that he will be able to retur ... more
|Hilfenhaus eyes return against Pakistan |
SYDNEY: Australian pacer Ben Hilfenhaus is still unable to bowl nearly five months after injuring his knee, but is hopeful of fighting his w ... more
|Graeme Smith cleared to return |
JOHANNESBURG: South Africa captain Graeme Smith was cleared to return to training on Monday after fracturing his finger playing in the India ... more
|All-round Pollard wrecks Delhi |
MUMBAI: Propelled by a swashbuckling 45 of 13 balls from Kieron Pollard and some good bowling and fielding, Mumbai Indians succeeded in beat ... more
|Pakistan lose in Kabbadi final |
KARACHI: Pakistan lost to India in the final of the inaugural Circle Style World Cup Kabaddi Championship which was held in Ludhiana, India, ... more
|Woods’ future uncertain |
AUGUSTA, Georgia: Except for watching Phil Mickelson slip into another green jacket, Tiger Woods should have a few complaints about his week ... more
|KESC footballers quit on ‘permanent’ demands |
KARACHI: Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) football team withdrew of the National Football Challenge Cup on Tuesday after their footbal ... more
|Navy record thumping win over KESC |
KARACHI: Navy recorded a formidable 5-1 victory over KESC in 57th National Hockey Championship at the Hockey Club of Pakistan here on Tuesda ... more
|Bondarenko, Wozniak advance at Family Circle event |
CHARLESTON, South Carolina: Ninth seeded Alona Bondarenko of Ukraine breezed past Julie Ditty 6-4, 6-2 in the opening round of the WTA 700,0 ... more
|Cilic passes Russian test with win over Andreev |
MONTE CARLO: Croatian fourth seed Marin Cilic passed a stern clay test against Russian Igor Andreev, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 6-4, on Tuesday to kick ... more
|Domenech to chase egos out with a gun |
PARIS: France coach Raymond Domenech has warned that he would “shoot” any players unable to put aside their egos for the sake of the French ... more
|AC Milan official blames Calciopoli for Italian decline |
ROME: AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said on Monday that Italy will lose a Champions League spot to Germany as a direct result of ... more
|Real Madrid’s Valdano defends coach Pellegrini |
MADRID: Real Madrid Director of Sport, Jorge Valdano defended under pressure coach Manuel Pellegrini this Tuesday.
Pellegrini has bee ... more
|Lippi not sweating as Italy old guard struggle |
ROME: Italy’s core of 2006 World Cup-winning players might have struggled for form and fitness all season but coach Marcello Lippi is not fr ... more
|Wajid enters qualifying finals in New Delhi |
KARACHI: Prominent Pakistani badminton player Wajid Ali dispatched Burhanuddin Mir of Afghanistan in the first qualifying round of Asian Bad ... more
|Mushahid IV win bridge tourney |
KARACHI: The trio of Mushahid IV, Candyland and Essa IV shared the top three positions in the latest edition of the weekly team championship ... more
Ancelotti called as witness at match-fixing trial
NAPLES, Italy: Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti on Tuesday was called by judges to a ... more
- CHICAGO - As if there wasn't enough drama already, the Chicago Bulls' season took another weird twist and this one involves coach Vinny Del Negro and executive vice president John Paxson. Full Story »
- NEW YORK - Andy Pettitte hit the corners, Derek Jeter homered into the right-center field stands, Jorge Posada rambled into second base for a double. And for good measure, Mariano Rivera closed it out with a cutter. Full Story »
- PITTSBURGH - A Pittsburgh company that markets food products endorsed by local sports stars has ended its beef jerky sponsorship deal with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Full Story »
- SEATTLE - Milton Bradley got a much-needed boost for himself and the Seattle Mariners with one big swing Tuesday night. Full Story »
- CHICAGO (AFP) - Derrick Rose finished with a career-high 39 points, Kirk Hinrich added 30 as Chicago beat Boston 101-93 to boost their National Basketball Association playoff chances. Full Story »
- WACO, Texas - Ekpe Udoh plans to bypass his senior season at Baylor and enter the NBA draft. Full Story »
- LONDON (AFP) - Any meeting between Tottenham and Arsenal carries an extra edge but Wednesday's latest edition of the north London derby has become a season-defining fixture for both sides. Full Story »
- ROME (Reuters) - BMC Racing acted prematurely in suspending former world cycling champion Alessandro Ballan for his implication in a doping investigation, Italy's Professional Cyclists' Association (ACCPI) said on Monday. Full Story »
- GLENDALE, Ariz. - The Glendale City Council on Tuesday approved a proposed arena lease agreement submitted by a group headed by Chicago sports mogul Jerry Reinsdorf that is seeking to buy the Phoenix Coyotes. Full Story »
- MONTE CARLO (AFP) - Novak Djokovic got first run on a parade of seeds into the Monte Carlo Masters third round on Wednesday, with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Florent Serra of France. Full Story »
- HAYWARD, Calif. - Jerry Rice used to wake up at 4 a.m. so he could get to the driving range and hit golf balls before he was due at work with the San Francisco 49ers for 8:30 a.m. meetings. Full Story »
- ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - In the UFC's first show in the Middle East and its first outdoors, heavy underdog Frankie Edgar won a unanimous decision over BJ Penn on Saturday night to claim the lightweight title at UFC 112. Full Story »
- NEW YORK - Polish boxer Tomasz Adamek is dedicating his fight against Cristobal Arreola this month to those killed in the plane crash in Russia. Full Story »
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Kasey Kahne has completed a deal to drive for Hendrick Motorsports in 2012 but still needs to iron out his plans for next season, The Associated Press has learned. Full Story »
- CALGARY, Alberta - Roger Jackson, the man who headed the program that helped Canada enjoy its most successful Winter Olympics, will step down as chief executive officer of Own the Podium on Thursday. Full Story »