|Gul, Arafat replaced by Sami, Irfan for T20 World Cup |
LAHORE: Two changes have been made in Pakistan team for the Twenty20 World Cup as fast bowlers Umar Gul and Yasir Arafat are unfit. They have been replaced by fst bowlers Mohammad Sami and Mohammad Irfan.
Captain Shahid Afridi and coach Waqar Younis said it is disappointing that Umar Gul and Yasir Arafat could not recover from their injuries.
The coach and the captain of the national team told at a news conference that Umar Gul and Yasir Arafat failed to recover from their injuries and have therefore been dropped from the squad.
Both players, reeling from injuries for the last two weeks, have been replaced by fast bowlers Mohammad Sami and Mohammad Irfan.
Waqar said Sami and Irfan would be included in the 15-man squad before their departure for the West Indies next week.
Gul suffered a shoulder injury and Arafat a knee injury during the training camp for the tournament.
The coach said that no prediction can be made regarding T20 cricket but he is hopes that his team would display good performance in the tournament.
Captain Shahid Afridi said that Umar Gul would greatly be missed in the championship. However, he said that Mohammad Irfan’s talent has impressed him very much.
The captain said that he has a big responsibility as captain and of course there is immense pressure on him but he is very hopeful for the team’s good performance.
The training camp continued for three weeks at the Gaddafi Stadium during which areas of fielding, physical fitness, running between the wicket and avoiding extras were focused.
The selectors deeply reviewed the bowling of Umar Gul and Yasir Arafat on the last day of the camp but both bowlers could not pass the fitness test.
The Pakistan team will leave for the West Indies via London on April 24 to participate in the World T20 Cup, commencing on April 30.
Australia and Bangladesh are also included in the pool of Pakistan, who are defending champions.
|Healy elected new Tennis Australia president |
SYDNEY: Lawyer Steve Healy was on Monday elected as the next President of Tennis Australia.
Healy, a Tennis Australia board membe ... more
|Nadal targets Barcelona after Monte Carlo win |
MONTE CARLO: Rafael Nadal will approach his home tournament on the Barcelona clay with fresh confidence after securing a historic sixth stra ... more
|Afridi hopes to unleash |
KARACHI: Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi is looking forward to ‘unleashing’ rookie fast bowler Mohammad Irfan as a ‘surprise weapon’ in the I ... more
|Gul ruled out of World Twenty20 |
KARACHI: Pakistan’s worst fears came true less than a fortnight before the ICC World Twenty20 championship when their most successful T20 bo ... more
|Aussies to monitor IPL security |
SYDNEY: Cricket Australia said on Sunday it would monitor the security situation in India after bomb blasts at an Indian Premier League matc ... more
|Nadal makes six in a row in Monte Carlo |
MONTE CARLO: Rafael Nadal charged back to clay-court supremacy with overwhelming force on Sunday, crushing Fernando Verdasco 6-0, 6-1 to cla ... more
|Players ignored bomb warning |
SYDNEY: Some of Australia’s leading cricketers are among a number of international players who ignored secret reports warning of terror atta ... more
|Pakistan retain seniors for Azlan Shah Cup camp |
KARACHI: Pakistan on Sunday kept faith in the players who formed the national team that sank to a humiliating last-place finish in last mont ... more
|Bits and Pieces |
Botham criticises amount of T20 cricket
LONDON: Former England captain Sir Ian Botham believes “greed” could ultimately kill internat ... more
|Super Kings go second with win |
DHARAMSALA, India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Subramaniam Badrinath smashed half-centuries as the Chennai Super Kings sealed a six-wicket Indi ... more
|Police defuse two bombs |
BANGALORE: Police in the southern Indian city of Bangalore defused two crudely made bombs on Sunday, a senior officer said, a day after expl ... more
|All eyes on Shoaib as Pentangular Cup begins |
KARACHI: Injury-prone fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar will be the centre of attraction when Federal Areas Leopards face Punjab Stallions in the op ... more
|Button leads 1-2 finish for McLaren in China |
SHANGHAI: Jenson Button profited from another canny tire strategy to win the Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday, beating his teammate Lewis Hamilt ... more
|Chelsea stunned by Spurs |
LONDON: Tottenham blew the Premier League title race wide open with a 2-1 win over 10-man Chelsea at White Hart Lane.
Tottenham’s vic ... more
|Barca draw gives Jose food for thought |
MADRID: Espanyol’s battling 0-0 draw at home to La Liga leaders Barcelona will have made interesting watching for Inter Milan coach Jose Mou ... more
|Milan lose touch with high tiers |
ROME: A last-gasp header from Giampaolo Pazzini on Sunday sank AC Milan’s hopes to remain close to the top of the Serie A as Sampdoria ralli ... more
|Arif guides team to NFCC win |
KARACHI: Experienced striker Arif Mehmood scored the first hat-trick of the tournament to provide former national champions WAPDA a 5-0 vict ... more
|CL matches to go ahead despite travel chaos |
LONDON: This week’s Champions League semifinals between Inter Milan and Barcelona and Bayern Munich and Olympique Lyon will go ahead in spit ... more
|We are not in a rush, says chief selector |
KARACHI: As many as sixteen players have been retained from the Pakistani squad who gave the worst ever performance for Pakistan in the hist ... more
|Selectors have done a good job: Bajwa |
KARACHI: Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF)’s controversial secretary Asif Bajwa has appreciated Selection Committee, headed by Hanif Khan, fo ... more
|Wapda clinch national hockey crown in style |
KARACHI: Pakistan WAPDA on Sunday clinched the title in an emphatic manner with a 4-1 triumph against SSGC as the curtains fell on the 57th ... more
|Islah to lead Customs in Nairobi |
KARACHI: Former Olympian Islahuddin Siddiqui will lead Pakistan Customs in a six-nation veterans hockey tournament to be held in Nairobi fro ... more
|Shabbir II in saddle treble |
KARACHI: Jockey Ghulam Shabbir II asserted himself to win three races in a row at the Karachi track on Sunday.
He partnered Butterfly ... more
|Ankle injury halts Wozniacki challenge |
CHARLESTON, South Carolina: World number two Caroline Wozniacki injured her right ankle and retired from her semi-final match against Vera Z ... more
|WAPDA claim volleyball title |
KARACHI: WAPDA lifted the trophy when they defeated Navy 3-1 in the final of the 45th National Men’s Volleyball Championship which concluded ... more
Cup officials ignoring crime, junk and filth
JOHANNESBURG: South Africa maybe preparing for the greatest football show on earth, the ... more
- HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - Jim Furyk hasn't had many victories as bizarre as his Verizon Heritage win. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Pau Gasol scored 19 points, Andrew Bynum added 13 and the Los Angeles Lakers used their twin 7-footers to dominate inside against the Oklahoma City Thunder, winning 87-79 Sunday in the opener of their playoff series. Full Story »
- DENVER - The San Jose Sharks couldn't score on Craig Anderson all night. Moments into overtime, they somehow managed to put the puck past their own goalie. Full Story »
- The calls that every agent with a kid in the draft dreads most are about money. Full Story »
- ST. LOUIS - Adam Wainwright threw a four-hitter with nine strikeouts and scored on Ryan Ludwick's tiebreaking two-run homer in the eighth inning of the St. Louis Cardinals' 5-3 victory over the New York Mets on Sunday night. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The defending champion Los Angeles Lakers held on for a gritty 87-79 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday, taking a 1-0 lead in the first-round Western Conference playoff series. Full Story »
- COLUMBIA, Mo. - For the second time in just over one year, Missouri coach Mike Anderson has turned down a hefty raise and the chance to revive a moribund power conference program to remain with the Tigers. Full Story »
- WIGAN, England (AFP) - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger criticised his side's lack of concentration after they squandered a two-goal lead in the last 10 minutes to lose 3-2 against struggling Wigan. Full Story »
- OTTAWA - Even faced with the constant attention of the Ottawa Senators' top pair of defensemen, Sidney Crosby keeps finding ways to lead the Pittsburgh Penguins. Full Story »
- CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AFP) - Australian fourth seed Samantha Stosur won her second career WTA title on Sunday, routing Russian Vera Zvonareva 6-0, 6-3 in the final of the 700,000-dollar Family Circle Cup. Full Story »
- LUTZ, Fla. - Bernhard Langer shot a 5-under 66 on Saturday to take a one-stroke lead over Mark O'Meara and Mike Reid in the Outback Steakhouse Pro-Am. Full Story »
- NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former NFL star Herschel Walker is hoping to schedule another mixed martial arts fight even though he has not scheduled an opponent. Full Story »
- CARACAS, Venezuela - Former lightweight champion Edwin Valero was detained Sunday on suspicion of killing his wife, the gravest in a string of problems that have threatened to derail his career. Prosecutors say they will charge Valero in the killing "in the coming hours." Full Story »
- LAS VEGAS - John Force raced to his third victory of the season and record 129th overall NHRA win, beating Tony Pendragon on Sunday in the Summitracing.com Spring Nationals at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Full Story »
- Two-time Olympic gold medalist Misty May-Treanor said in a soon-to-be-published autobiography that she has struggled with alcoholism all her life as the child of a mother who became violent when drunk and a father who didn't sober up until he was jailed for driving under the influence. Full Story »
Full Story »
New Delhi,Deccan Chargers skipper Adam Gilchrist said Sunday that the ongoing controversy between Indian Premier League (IPL) supremo Lalit Modi and former minister Shashi Tharoor Read more »
New Delhi, Indian shooter Gagan Narang won the bronze medal in the 10 meter air rifle event at the World Cup in Beijing Sunday.
According to information received here, Narang shot a total Read more »
Karachi,Pakistani skipper Shahid Afridi is looking forward to ‘unleashing’ rookie fast bowler Mohammad Irfan as a ‘surprise weapon’ in the Twenty20 World Cup to held in the Caribbean, starting April 30. Read more »
Sydney, Apr 19 : Australian Twenty20 vice-captain Cameron White’s manager has rubbished reports that players were warned to stay put or Read more »
Sydney, The chief executive of the Australian Commonwealth Games Association has said that they will be participating Read more »
New Delhi,India's Home Secretary, G. K. Pillai, has said that tighter security will be needed at this year''s Commonwealth Games, especially after loopholes surfaced in Bangalore during an Indian Premier League match on Saturday. Read more »
Srinagar,In an attempt to popularise cricket in Jammu and Kashmir, a T20 Jammu Kashmir Premier League has kicked off in Srinagar.
The league has been organised by the Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association (JKCA). Read more »
Lahore,Defending Twenty20 World Cup champions Pakistan have suffered a major blow, as fast bowler Umar Gul and all-rounder Yasir Arafat have been Read more »
Lahore,Pakistan’s cricket chief selector, Mohsin Khan, has said no compromise would be entertained on discipline, fitness and performance for the Read more »
Srinagar, In an attempt to popularise cricket in Jammu and Kashmir, a T20 Jammu Kashmir Premier League has kicked off in Srinagar.
The league has been organised by the Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association (JKCA). Read more »
Lahore,Defending Twenty20 World Cup champions Pakistan have suffered a major blow, as fast bowler Umar Gul and all-rounder Yasir Arafat have been ruled out of the Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies due to injuries. Read more »