|Qatar Grand Prix to be held tomorrow |
DOHA: The first race of Moto GP season will be held here tomorrow.
In the practice session held at the Losail International Circuit, Casey Stoner (Ducati) has a proven pedigree of success.
The Ducati Marlboro rider was satisfied with his performance in the first practice in Qatar, but has underlined the need to continue to work hard as the weekend progresses.
The Losail International Circuit is a track at which Casey Stoner has a proven pedigree of success, and the Australian is going for a fourth successive win in the season opener at the venue this weekend.
On Friday evening he started the Commercialbank Grand Prix of Qatar weekend in solid style, topping Free Practice 1 with the fastest time by over half a second from Jorge Lorenzo.
Stoner’s lap of 1’55.500 on his Desmosedici GP10 of the Ducati Marlboro team was a fraction over a tenth of a second off the time which saw him top the Official Test three weeks earlier, and displayed an immediate comfort with his bike at the start of the opening round of the 2010 season.
Jorge Lorenzo of Spain won the second place while his teammate Valentino Rossi of Italy finished third.
|Bolt to race at Penn Relays |
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana: Jamaican sprint king Usain Bolt will compete April 24 at the USA v The World Penn Relays in Philadelphia, USA Track a ... more
|Pakistan to face India in handball final |
KARACHI: Pakistan set date with India in the final when they defeated hosts Bangladesh in the semifinal of the International Handball Federa ... more
|Cycling team to contest in Iran |
KARACHI: Pakistan’s cycling team will feature in the third Presidency Tour to be held in Iran from May 11 to 15.
The secretary of th ... more
|MSAP to organise Inter-College events |
KARACHI: The Mind Sports Association of Pakistan (MSAP), in collaboration with the Aga Khan Youth Sports Board for Pakistan (AKYSBP), will b ... more
|National Volleyball begins today |
KARACHI: The 45th National Men’s Volleyball Championship will start in Sialkot today (Saturday).
Thirteen teams are featuring in the tour ... more
|Waiz wins bronze in boxing |
KARACHI: Pakistan’s super heavyweight boxer Mir Waiz had to content with a bronze medal after he conceded his semifinal bout to Ghossoun Sou ... more
|Monfils out of Monte Carlo Masters |
PARIS: French number two Gael Monfils has pulled out of the Monte Carlo Masters with a left hand injury, organisers announced on Friday.
|Sanchez takes stage, Valverde in charge at Basque |
MADRID: Spain’s Samuel Sanchez, riding for the Euskaltel team, on Thursday won the fourth stage of the Tour of the Basque Country, a 160km r ... more
|Azarenka out of Andalucia Open with injury |
MARBELLA: Top seed Victoria Azarenka pulled out of the Andalucia Open at the quarter-final stage with a thigh muscle injury on Friday. more
|Vesnina steamrolls Oudin at Florida WTA clay event |
PONTE VEDRA BEACH: Fourth-seeded Elena Vesnina cruised past weary Melanie Oudin 6-2, 6-1 to reach the semi-finals of the WTA green clay MPS ... more
|Chela ousts defending champ Hewitt |
HOUSTON: Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela beat defending champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia 6-4, 6-3 Friday to reach the semi-finals of the ... more
|Oz humiliation will never be repeated, says Intikhab |
KARACHI: Intikhab Alam, the former national cricket team coach now given the responsibility to train and groom youngsters, believes that his ... more
|Tiger soars into contention |
AUGUSTA, Georgia: An astounded Tiger Woods exceeded his own expectations in his first tournament for almost five months as veteran Fred Coup ... more
|Umar Akmal joins growing injury list |
KARACHI: Umar Akmal, Pakistan’s young batting sensation has joined the growing list of injuries in the preparatory camp for the ICC World Tw ... more
|Family denies changing Shoania wedding date |
HYDERABAD, India: The family of tennis player Sania Mirza denied on Friday that they had moved up the date of her wedding to former Pakistan ... more
|England opt for Saker as new bowling coach |
SYDNEY: Former fast bowler David Saker has followed in the footsteps of fellow Australian Troy Cooley and been appointed as England’s new fa ... more
|Jayasuriya, Ranatunga enter SL parliament |
COLOMBO: Veteran cricketer Sanath Jayasuriya and Sri Lanka’s 1996 World Cup winning skipper Arjuna Ranatunga have won seats in parliament, a ... more
|Football star Essa contemplating future as coach |
KARACHI: Immensely disappointed by the hostile situation around him, Muhammad Essa, one of the finest playmakers Pakistan has ever produced, ... more
|Durham eye Yorkshire milestone as season begins |
LONDON: Durham will bid to become the first side since Yorkshire in the 1960s to win three successive titles when a new, much-changed Englis ... more
|AFL clear Fevola over model picture |
MELBOURNE: An Australian Rules footballer accused of circulating a nude photograph of model Lara Bingle, later the fiancée of Australian cri ... more
|Karachi-South, KESC in BB semis |
KARACHI: Habib Bank, KESC, Mirpur Khas and Karachi-South Whites qualified for the semifinals of the NBP President’s Cup Basketball tournamen ... more
|4 more matches decided in Inter-Firms cricket |
KARACHI: Shami Associates, Mansha Brothers, Income Tax and Sindh Police registered victories over their respective rivals in the 17th Hinopa ... more
|‘Too soon to write off Schumi’ |
LONDON: It is too soon to write off Formula One legend Michael Schumacher this season, Mercedes team chief Ross Brawn warned on Friday.
B ... more
|Shanghai will be severe on tyres |
SHANGHAI: According to Hirohide Hamashima, Bridgestone’s Director of Motorsport Tyre Development, the Shanghai International Circuit will pr ... more
|Stoner leads charge of young guns pursuing Rossi |
DOHA: Australian Casey Stoner will lead the charge of the young guns pursuing world champion Valentino Rossi as the MotoGP season kicks off ... more
|Liverpool, Fulham rescue Europa pride |
LONDON: Liverpool and Fulham combined on Thursday to rescue England’s European pride which was so badly bruised by the Champions League exit ... more
|Toni seeking a favour from old Fiorentina teammates |
ROME: Luca Toni has been barraging his former teammates at Fiorentina with SMSes all week.
The AS Roma forward is hoping his former team ... more
|World Cup terrorist threat made: FIFA |
JOHANNESBURG: FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke says there has been a terrorist threat to the World Cup, but it will not stop organisers ... more
|Villa eager for second Cup final |
LONDON: Martin O’Neill has revealed the determination of the Aston Villa players to reach a second final of the campaign — and set the recor ... more
|Spain braces itself for the ‘el clasico’ |
MADRID: Barcelona might be just one step from reaching the Champions League final but on Saturday (today) tackle Real Madrid in a mouth-wate ... more
|Airplane message unseen by Tiger |
AUGUSTA, Georgia: Tiger Woods said he never noticed the airplane taunts at hime flown above Augusta National Golf Club on Thursday during hi ... more
|NBP resume winning streak with Ateeq brace |
KARACHI: Mohammad Ateeq scored two goals, to take his tally to 11 goals in only five outings on the seventh day of 57th National Hockey Cham ... more
|Oudin battles past Peng to reach quarter-finals |
PONTE VEDRA, Florida: American Melanie Oudin shruggd off a slow start to battle to a 2-6, 7-5, 7-5 victory over China’s Peng Shuai on Thursd ... more
|Sharapova pulls out from Charleston |
CHARLESTON, South Carolina: Serena Williams has withdrawn from the WTA Tour green clay tournament here next week, along with Russian Maria S ... more
|Sri Lanka to see plenty of India|
KOLKATA: India will be making two trips to Sri Lanka, for three engagements, in the next couple of months.
- NEW YORK - Tiger Woods was almost done playing as ESPN began coverage of the Masters' second round Friday, a day after the network rode interest in his return from a self-imposed hiatus to its highest golf ratings ever. Full Story »
- ROCKVILLE, Md. - Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas began serving his sentence Friday night for bringing guns into the team's locker room. Full Story »
- AUGUSTA, Ga. - Life at the top of the leaderboard was sweet and short for Fred Couples at the Masters. Full Story »
- ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (Reuters) - The Tampa Bay Rays crushed the New York Yankees 9-3 on Friday, spoiling the return of Yankees pitcher Javier Vazquez. Full Story »
- ATLANTA (Reuters) - The playoff-bound Atlanta Hawks reached the 50-win mark for the first time in 12 years when they beat the Toronto Raptors 107-101 on Friday. Full Story »
- LOS ANGELES - Ohio State's Evan Turner won the John R. Wooden Award, claiming yet another trophy as the nation's top basketball player. Full Story »
- GLASGOW (AFP) - Celtic face finishing the season without any silverware when they sensationally crashed out of the Scottish Cup after First Division minnowRoss County pulled off a shock 2-0 semi-final win at Hampden on Saturday. Full Story »
- PARIS (AFP) - Former Paris-Roubaix champion Franco Ballerini, who died in an accident last February, is to be honoured by race organisers this year. Full Story »
- DENVER - Colin Fraser scored twice, Jonathan Toews had a goal and an assist and the Chicago Blackhawks moved closer to clinching the top seed in the Western Conference with a 5-2 win over the Colorado Avalanche on Friday night. Full Story »
- AUGUSTA, Ga. - Matteo Manassero could show guys twice his age a thing or two. Full Story »
- NEW YORK (Reuters) - Yankee Stadium will welcome boxing back to the baseball field for the first time in over 30 years when it hosts a world championship bout in June that features an aspiring rabbi, officials said on Friday. Full Story »
- AVONDALE, Ariz. - Kyle Busch recovered from a wild sequence in which he lost the lead on a restart and fell 20 seconds behind after a drive-through penalty to win the NASCAR Nationwide Series race Friday night at Phoenix International Raceway. Full Story »
Full Story »