2010 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season
|2010 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series season|
| ← 2009 || |
ScheduleWith the closure of the Memphis Motorsports Park as of 30 October 2009, , the Full Throttle Series is now slated for 23 events: The Virginia NHRA Nationals has also been eliminated, as Virginia Motorsports Park chose to align with rival Kenneth Feld's International Hot Rod Association instead (many tracks changed sanctioning, owing to their sportsman classes. A second race at zMax Dragway, the Four Wide Nationals, was added.
|2010 NHRA Full Throttle Schedule|
|Top Fuel||Funny Car||Pro Stock||Pro Stock Motorcycle|
|February 11-14||50th Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals||Pomona, Calif.||Larry Dixon||John Force||Mike Edwards||N/A|
|February 19-22||Lucas Oil Slick Mist NHRA Nationals||Chandler, Ariz.||Cory McClenathan||Jack Beckman||N/A 1||N/A|
|March 11-14||Tire Kingdom Gatornationals||Gainesville, Fla||TBD||TBD||TBD (Fri-Sat) |
|March 25-28||Four Wide Nationals 2||Charlotte, NC||TBD||TBD||TBD||N/A|
|April 9-11||O'Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals||Houston, Texas||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|April 16-18||SummitRacing.com NHRA Nationals||Las Vegas, Nev.||TBD||TBD||TBD||N/A|
|April 30-May 2||O'Reilly NHRA Midwest Nationals||Madison, Ill.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|May 14-16||Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Southern Nationals||Atlanta, Ga.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|May 21–23||O'Reilly NHRA Summer Nationals||Topeka, Kan.||TBD||TBD||TBD||N/A|
|June 3-6||United Association Route 66 NHRA Nationals||Chicago, Ill.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|June 10-13||United Association NHRA SuperNationals||Englishtown, N.J.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|June 18-20||NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals||Bristol, Tenn.||TBD||TBD||TBD||N/A|
|June 24–27||Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals||Norwalk, Ohio||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|July 9-11||NHRA Northwest Nationals||Seattle, Wash.||TBD||TBD||TBD||N/A|
|July 16-18||Fram Autolite NHRA Nationals||Sonoma, Calif.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|July 23-25||Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals||Denver, Colo.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|August 12-15||Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals||Brainerd, Minn.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|September 1-6||Mac Tools U.S. Nationals||Indianapolis, Ind.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|2010 Countdown to the Championship|
|September 16–19||NHRA Carolinas Nationals||Concord, N.C.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|September 23–26||O'Reilly Super Start Batteries NHRA Fall Nationals||Dallas, Texas||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|October 7-10||Toyo Tires NHRA Nationals||Reading, Pa.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|October 28-31||NHRA Las Vegas Nationals||Las Vegas, Nev.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|November 11-14||Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals||Pomona, Calif.||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
The two-race format for the Tire Kingdom Gatornationals is in effect for the Pro Stock cars only with the following special rules.
- Only one round of qualifying will be conducted, the first Friday qualifying session.
- The second round of qualifying will be replaced by the second round of eliminations for the eight first-round winners in Arizona.
- The winners of the four pairings will receive 20 points for the round win.
- Drivers who are not one of those eight drivers will run a standard second-round qualifying pass.
- All times will count towards qualifying for the Sunday race.
- The fastest time in the entire second session, regardless of it being an elimination round or a standard qualifying pass, receives three points for the fastest, two points for the second-fastest, and one point for the third-fastset time in this qualifying session.
- The semifinals will be held Saturday morning for the four round winners from Friday, replacing their qualifying round pass. In those two races only, 20 points will be awarded for the round win. All times, regardless of qualifying or eliminations, count towards qualifying.
- Drivers other than those four drivers in the semifinals will participate in a normal qualifying round.
- The two winners of the semifinals will race for the Saturday championship, and the 20 bonus points. All other drivers will participate in fourth-round qualifying.
- In Friday and Saturday eliminations, if a driver commits a red-light foul, and his opponent does not foul, the driver who commits the red light foul is eliminated; however, any time from that run will count towards Gatornationals qualifying (red lights do not disqualify a qualifying run; they only eliminate drivers during the race).
- Both round and qualifying points will be contested.
- The second-round qualifying pairings (with full NHRA points) will be:
- Mike Edwards vs. Greg Anderson
- Allen Johnson vs. Jason Line
- Ron Krisher vs. Greg Stanfield
- Bob Yonke vs. Rodger Brogdon
- Times for the races will count towards the Sunday ladder.
- All cars will qualify on each lane as all four lanes will be used in qualifying.
- Three rounds with cars using all four lanes.
- In Rounds One and Two, the top two drivers (of four) will advance to the next round.
- Drivers who advance in Rounds One and Two will receive 20 points for each round advancement.
- In Round Three, the winner of the race will be declared the race winner and will collect 40 points. The runner-up will receive 20 points. Third and fourth place drivers will be credited as semifinal losers.
Notable eventsAfter 47 years as a driver and owner, Don Prudhomme announced his retirement from the series.
Funny car driver Mike Neff stepped down as driver to become co-crew chief for John Force, the other crew chief is Austin Coil.
In the first round at Arizona, Antron Brown lost a wheel and crashed into the wall. The wheel struck a female spectator who was killed. Brown was uninjured in the accident. Because of weather conditions, the Pro Stock event at the same meet was cancelled after one round. The eight first-round winners will compete as part of second-round qualifying at the next round.